Friday, September 27, 2013

Helped by God

Renee Bonfield ... evangelist   

We have a 43 yr. old son who is autistic and has been living in a group home for 14 years now. His behavior has been very good. However, toward the end of June I received a frantic telephone call from a consumer service coordinator, informing me that all of a sudden James went into a rage and was injuring people in his group home. I suggested that he should have a staff member with him at all times. A staff member sat outside his bedroom door all that night. James also has a bed neighbor, Jack. This didn't work out as James was still agitated. The coordinator phoned me the next day and said that Jack's family are insisting that James be in a private room. As the home didn't have an extra room, they were going to convert one of the offices into a bedroom for him. While this was going on I was devastated. I kept crying out to God for His mercy and His help. 

I visit James every other Sunday at his home. The next Sunday when I visited him, his behavior was wonderful. That day I spoke with a male nurse who is a born-again Christian. He asked me if I knew what happened, I said "no." Then he told me that the home had run out of his medication, which caused the behavior problem. I was so happy to hear what caused his problem, and thought that everything was back to normal again. However, Jack's family were still insisting that James be put in a room away from Jack. During this episode they took James to his Psychiatrist, who wanted to raise the level of his medication. I told the people involved that I do not want James medication increased, and I do not want his room changed. 

During this time, I was so afraid that they would change James' room without my permission. Still calling out to God for His mercy, I was given the following scriptures which really helped me: 

Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgement thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of Me, saith the LORD. 

Joshua 1:9 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. 

I John 4:4 Ye are of God little children,and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world. 

For a while, Jack's family wanted to call a special meeting at the home to discuss James being put out of his room, but since that time I haven't heard another word, and the meeting didn't take place.