Sunday, September 1, 2019

Dreams, Visions, Angels, & The Holy Spirit


1

The way God Uses Dreams, Angels and Visions


Job 33:14-18    For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not.

In a dream
, in a vision of the night,
when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed;  Then HE
(God) openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,

That HE may withdraw man from his
(own) purpose, and hide pride from man.



HE keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.





*****


In the Bible, we see so many examples of God using dreams to guide and to protect HIS people.

God appeared to Joseph in a dream showing him not to be afraid of taking Mary to be his wife because the child conceived by Mary was of the Holy Ghost and was Jesus, the promised Messiah.

At the time God sent this dream to Joseph, he was considering putting Mary away, because Joseph knew the child was not of himself.

God is going to present Joseph with truth and change him from his plan.


*****

Matthew 1:18-25    Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as His mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.

But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call HIS name Jesus: for HE shall save HIS people from their sins.

Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,  Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call HIS name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:  And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called HIS name Jesus.




***** 

In 1980, in the night, while I was sleeping, a very loud trumpet-like sound blew 3 words into my ear which set the direction I was to take for many years.  (I believe this was the voice of an angel carrying a message to me from God.)  

The sound in my ear was very loud.  

I heard these three words:   "Hartford, Seattle, KWJS"

I jumped out of bed and wrote the letters KWJS on a notepad.  It seemed obvious to me these were call letters to either radio or television.

When I looked this up, I found it was radio.

I said to God, "Are YOU telling me to go on radio?  I wouldn't know how to do that.  I'm a writer, not a speaker."

Immediately the following came into my mind.  "Call the radio station manager."

(This was the Holy Spirit speaking in a very gentle voice which came to me in the form of a thought.)

That morning, as soon as the station opened, I called and asked to speak to the radio station manager at KWJS.

He came on the phone immediately.

I said, "God might be showing me to go on radio.  How would you do that?"

He replied, "Make an audition tape 29 1/2 minutes long and send it to me and if you fit our broadcasting we will offer you a contract."

I had a tape recorder at my apartment so I didn't hesitate.  That same morning, I took a kitchen timer and set it for 29 1/2 minutes and began speaking a message which I believed to be authored by God by HIS Spirit.

By the following week, I was broadcasting exhortations for the church on Mondays through Fridays on KWJS radio.

I had never heard a Christian type radio broadcast before I made this recording.  I just asked God to give me what HE wanted me to speak and I set my kitchen timer for 29 1/2 minutes, and  turned on my recorder and said ... 

"This is Dr. Joan Boney speaking ..."  

And I spoke that which the Holy Spirit brought to my mind.

One of the things the Holy Spirit does is to remind us of all Jesus has said to us, in my case, that which God wants me to speak.  It just comes into my mind, a scripture and a concept.

John 14:26    But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in MY name, HE shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

For the next four years I continued on radio.  

Within the first year, I was broadcasting on stations from "Hartford area to Seattle" (as I heard to do), starting with station KWJS ... thus "Hartford, Seattle, KWJS" as the trumpet-like voice told me on January 10, 1982.

This is the first assignment I had in the ministry.  And I was sure that assignment was from God.


*****

The apostle Paul had the following experience which he believed was showing him what to do.

Acts 16:9-10    And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.

And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.

This is an important example for us in the NT church for we see God choosing to show the apostle Paul what to do by giving him a vision in the night.

*****



Several years ago, I attended a prayer group in a home.

As the women were praying, I heard:  "Look up."

I looked up and it was as if an outline of a body part was drawn on a white wall in the house.  I know almost nothing about the human body.  I knew this was something I'd seen before but I didn't know what it was.  I was silently talking with God, while the women prayed in the group.  I was asking God what that was I was seeing.  I heard, "Stomach."

"Oh, yeah ... stomach ... that's what that is."  (I recalled the old Pepto-Bismol commercials on TV)

I was a new Christian at that time, approximately 1977.

When the women quit praying, I managed to have the courage to ask, "Does someone have a stomach problem?"  

A woman in the group jumped up, excitedly identifying herself as having such.

I'm sure the women in the group began praying over her.

After that, these "open" visions began happening in such places as our Sunday school class.

While they were singing, I would see such outlines on the wall.

(I assume these spiritual gifts were word of wisdom or word of knowledge.)

After they finished singing, our teacher would always say, "Does anyone have a word from the Lord?"  

Then I would speak what I had been shown.

***
  
I Corinthians 12:4-8    Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.  And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.  And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.  But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.  For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;


To me, God showed these as an outline on the wall.

I called these "open" visions.

***

A few years ago, a friend of mine was diagnosed with the terrible disease ALS.

The people in the church group where he lived were praying for David to be healed.  I was given an open vision about him.  In this vision, I saw David playing golf.  (He was paralyzed at the time I saw this.)  I saw him completely whole, on the golf course.  He was jumping up and down and waving for us to come on and join him.  "It was great," he was saying to us!

A man in his church group said to me, "Don't you think that means David will be healed?"

I replied:  "David is dying ... but he is okay spiritually."

David died shortly after this.

***

We put the house where I had been living in Texas up for-sale.  After I moved from Texas to Colorado, I had an open vision, on the wall in the room where I was sitting in Colorado.  I saw a man in a car drive past the north side of the house in Texas.  He got passed the house and then stopped his car and finally backed up and sat at the side of the house, staring intently at the house.  I felt this meant someone who had viewed the house and passed it by, would back up and seriously consider it again.

*****

The Bible is full of examples of "supernatural" experiences which are authored by God.

I always consider this to show the way God works with HIS people.  

If I find example in Bible, it seems to me like that same thing could be used today in the church, thus dreams, visions, word of wisdom, word of knowledge, supernatural gifts of faith, and such.


*****


In Matthew 2, we see many examples of God leading through dreams.

vv. 11-12  (the wise men)  And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary His mother, and fell down, and worshipped HIM: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto HIM gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh. And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.

***

vv. 13-14    And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and His mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy Him.

When he arose, he took the young child and His mother by night, and departed into Egypt:

***

vv. 19-21    But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, Saying, Arise, and take the young child and His mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child's life.

And he arose, and took the young child and His mother, and came into the land of Israel.

***

vv. 22-23    But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee:  And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

(To me, these Bible examples show us ways God uses dreams with HIS people, which we are, to show us and warn us and instruct us in ways to go.)

*****

In 1982, I was travelling all over the United States to the cities where I was on radio.  I would go into each city and have two or three day meetings for the radio audience.

During that time, I had a dream showing great danger ... and at the end of the dream, I heard these words, "Don't go until you see Exodus 15."

Immediately I cancelled all the remaining schedule for 1982, going nowhere to speak, just continuing radio broadcasts which I recorded at my apartment in Dallas.

A woman said to me at that time, "Joan ... You have to go out ... If you go out they will give money ... If you don't go out, you will lose money."

I replied, "God showed me not to go out.  I'm not going."

I didn't go out ... We did lose money ... But we still had enough money ... And most importantly, I did not deny the heavenly vision that was given to me by God.

*****


At one period of time, I went through a good deal of verbal persecution from church people because of the judgment messages which God had given me and I had spoken on my radio broadcasts.

In a dream,  it was as if a shot gun loaded with buck-shot had been discharged into my chest, resulting in holes all over my chest.  A man, an angel I think, applied a healing balm to each wound.  It felt so wonderful!  

The next morning I awoke completely healed from the emotional wounds. 

God gives us that which we need.

*****

Acts 5:12-16    And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.  And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them.  And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.)  Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them.  

There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.

***

17-21
  Then the high priest rose up, and all they that were with him, (which is the sect of the Sadducees,) and were filled with indignation,  And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison.
But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth, and said,   Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life.

(Angels can do mighty acts ... and deliver messages of instruction from God.)

And when they heard that, they entered into the temple early in the morning, and taught.

*** 

21-33    But the high priest came, and they that were with him, and called the council together, and all the senate of the children of Israel, and sent to the prison to have them brought.

But when the officers came, and found them not in the prison, they returned and told,  Saying, The prison truly found we shut with all safety, and the keepers standing without before the doors: but when we had opened, we found no man within.

Now when the high priest and the captain of the temple and the chief priests heard these things, they doubted of them whereunto this would grow.

Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching the people.
Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.  

And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,  Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.

Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.  Him hath God exalted with His right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.  And we are His witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey HIM.

When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them.

*****

34-42    Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;

And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.

For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.

After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.

And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for HIS name.

And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.





*****