Thursday, June 17, 2021

Chapter 1. Attending church

(Comments by Joan Boney)

My first experience with attending church came sometime when I was approximately 4 years old.

My mother and father did not attend any church.  We had no Bible at our house.  I don't recall them mentioning church at all.

We lived in a very small village 30 miles north of Clovis, New Mexico (USA).  There were approximately 10 houses in the village.  There were 2 churches:  Nazarene and Church of Christ

I went once to the Church of Christ when I was 4 or 5 years old.  I don't remember anything about it. I think some of my older cousins went there.

I went to the Nazarene church four or five times in very early childhood.  Mrs. Johnson played the piano there.  She was rather blubbery and sort of spit when she talked.  She moved a lot as she played piano.  We sang one song I recall:  "The wise man built his house upon a rock."

(I didn't know what this song meant, but I liked the tune and the rhythm was catchy....and we got to do little hand and body movements at different parts of the song!)

When we visited my favorite aunt, Aunt Ardath, I always went to church with her but we didn't often go to see her because she lived in another town on the other side of the state.  

She attended Church of Christ.  

They taught that the Church of Christ was the only church.  I thought that was true because that is the church my favorite aunt attended.

When I was approximately 4 years old, I went with Aunt Ardath to church.  

As we sat there I heard the man at the front of the room call my name.  stood up and answered before all the church. "Yes?"  (I think that's what I said.  But I know I spoke aloud.)

In thinking about this, it reminds me of the following:

I Sam. 3:4  the LORD called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I.

To be continued ...

To read all of Chapter 2, please click here:   Attending Church! - Chapter 2

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯