Sunday, June 20, 2021

Hymn: I'm pressing on the upward way




(Click forward arrow > to play music:)


1.  I’m pressing on the upward way, 
New heights I’m gaining every day;
Still praying as I onward bound,
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.


Chorus:

Lord, lift me up, and let me stand
By faith on Heaven's tableland;

A higher plane than I have found,
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.


2.  My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where these abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.
 

3.  I want to live above the world,
Though Satan’s darts at me are hurled;
For faith has caught the joyful sound,
The song of saints on higher ground.


4.   I want to scale the utmost height
And catch a gleam of glory bright;
But still I’ll pray till rest I’ve found,
Lord, lead me on to higher ground.



(Click pause symbol,  "  ... at beginning of hymn, to stop music)


*****

Scripture pertaining to this hymn:

v. 3.  I want to live above the world,

Matthew 7:24-27    Jesus says    whosoever heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

And every one that heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

We live above the world by doing that Word given us by God by HIS Spirit.  We press on to higher ground each time we hear the Word of God and do the Word of God.  We build our house on the Word of God by doing the Word of God and when we live that way, our house will never fall!

And we are recreated in the image of Christ each time we do the Word of God.

***

v. 4   But still I’ll pray till rest I’ve found,
Lord, lead me on to higher ground. 


James 4:7   Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Pray:  Pour your heart out to God if anything concerns you.

Then use that scripture or concept to build yourself in the faith, thereby resisting the thoughts sent by the devil with that which God has brought to your attention by His Spirit.

Keep focused on that which God has given you in the matter at hand and every time a memory comes that would pull  you  down, make your mind return to thinking about that which God has given you in the issue. 

II Corinthians 10:3-5    For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;


 
*****