Friday, June 18, 2021

Chapter 2. New Book: Attending church. Receiving a Bible.

 
Comments by Joan Boney

When I was 5-years-old, for my birthday, one of my relatives gave me a small white Bible.  (KJV)

When I was in bed I would sometimes read that Bible by flashlight.

One day I asked Aunt Ardath, "Where is it in the Bible where it says, 'The Lord is my shepherd.  I shall not want?' "

***

We continued to visit Aunt Ardath on the other side of the state.  If it was the week end, I would go to church with her.

As a very young child, the minister asked me why my mother didn't come with us to church and I replied, "Em aint got no clothes."  Everyone laughed!  

(I believe my aunt told my mother what I'd told the preacher that day.)  

Throughout my life I often heard them repeat this story.  

***

At the Church of Christ at the end of the service, they passed around a tray containing crackers.  My aunt would break off a piece of cracker and eat it.

Then they passed a container that had individual small glasses filled with purple liquid. I watched my aunt pick up the glass and very solemnly drink the liquid.

I didn't know what this meant but they were all very quite and seemed sad.

(I don't recall them telling me I couldn't have these but they must have done that.)

***

The Church of Christ sang music but they didn't have any piano like they did at the Nazarene Church.

***

We didn't often visit my aunt on Sunday's.  I felt it was because my parents didn't want to be there on her church days.  But when we were there, I always went with my aunt to church.


To be continued:
 
To read Chapter 3, please click here:   Attending Church! - Chapter 3 
 

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯