Friday, September 6, 2013

Hearing from God what to do

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Isaac and Jacob each lived during a time of famine, yet God gave them very different instructions. 

God told Isaac not to go to Egypt during a famine ...

Genesis 26:1 And there was a famine in the land, beside the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went unto Abimelech king of the Philistines unto Gerar. 2 And the Lord appeared unto him, and said, Go not down into Egypt; dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of: 3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father; 4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; 5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.  6 And Isaac dwelt in Gerar:

As God instructed, Isaac did not go to Egypt.  He stayed in Gerar, receiving an hundred fold when he sowed in the land, and God blessed him ...

Genesis 26:12 Then Isaac sowed in that land, and received in the same year an hundredfold: and the Lord blessed him. 13 And the man waxed great, and went forward, and grew until he became very great: 14 For he had possession of flocks, and possession of herds, and great store of servants: and the Philistines envied him.


The instruction given to Jacob when famine came was very different.  God had prepared a way of deliverance for Jacob and his sons in Egypt, causing Joseph to go there before and be set in authority, and given wisdom from God in how to prepare for the famine before it came.  When his brothers came to Egypt to get food the second time, Joseph made known who he was to his brothers.  He told them to bring their father and for all of them to come dwell near him in Egypt ...

Genesis 45:4 And Joseph said unto his brethren, Come near to me, I pray you. And they came near. And he said, I am Joseph your brother, whom ye sold into Egypt. 5 Now therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life. 6 For these two years hath the famine been in the land: and yet there are five years, in the which there shall neither be earing nor harvest. 7 And God sent me before you to preserve you a posterity in the earth, and to save your lives by a great deliverance. 8 So now it was not you that sent me hither, but God: and he hath made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house, and a ruler throughout all the land of Egypt. 9 Haste ye, and go up to my father, and say unto him, Thus saith thy son Joseph, God hath made me lord of all Egypt: come down unto me, tarry not: 10 And thou shalt dwell in the land of Goshen, and thou shalt be near unto me, thou, and thy children, and thy children's children, and thy flocks, and thy herds, and all that thou hast: 11 And there will I nourish thee; for yet there are five years of famine; lest thou, and thy household, and all that thou hast, come to poverty.

Joseph's brothers returned to their father in Canaan, telling him Joseph was still alive and what Joseph had said.  God spoke to Jacob (Israel) as he journeyed to Egypt, telling him not to fear going to Egypt and that HE would go with him and make of him a great nation ...

Genesis 46:1 And Israel took his journey with all that he had, and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices unto the God of his father Isaac. 2 And God spake unto Israel in the visions of the night, and said, Jacob, Jacob. And he said, Here am I. 3 And he said, I am God, the God of thy father: fear not to go down into Egypt; for I will there make of thee a great nation: 4 I will go down with thee into Egypt; and I will also surely bring thee up again: and Joseph shall put his hand upon thine eyes.

In Egypt, Joseph's father and brothers were given the best of the land, and they were nourished by Joseph ...

Genesis 47:11 And Joseph placed his father and his brethren, and gave them a possession in the land of Egypt, in the best of the land, in the land of Rameses, as Pharaoh had commanded. 12 And Joseph nourished his father, and his brethren, and all his father's household, with bread, according to their families.

Although they were not told to do the same things, Isaac and Jacob were both fed and kept by God as they obeyed what HE told them to do.