Tuesday, June 12, 2012

God works it out

Renee Bonfield ... evangelist

My sister and her husband have a house on Fire Island NY. Several years ago during the summertime my sister phoned and asked me if we wanted to use the house for a week. James (son) was in sleep-away-camp at the time. I asked Wheeler if we could go. He said we could and I told my sister that we would like to go. Then she said "There is just one thing. I don't want you to speak to any of my friends about God." I told her that I could not agree to this, and if there was anything God wanted me to share, I would have to share it. Then she said "Then you can't have the house." I said that was fine and we hung up. 
When I told Wheeler what had happened, he became very angry and said "You should have said you wouldn't speak to anyone about God." I explained to him that I could not do that.
Later on that day I received a phone call from my sister. She said that she had spoken with her husband (a lawyer) about this, and he said that since she had already offered the house to us, that she should let us have the house no matter what.
When I told Wheeler that we could use the house, he said he no longer wanted to go. 
All during this time I just kept praying and asking God what to do. I told Him that if He wanted us to go to Fire Island, He would make a way. 
Finally Wheeler said we could go if I still wanted to do so. I said "yes."  
Later that evening I phoned my sister back and said that if her offer still stood, that we would like to go. We owned a car at the time, and we packed our bag ready to go. We had already obtained the ferry schedule and decided which ferry we would take to go across to Fire Island. We wanted to take an early ferry, as we thought the later ferry would put us there kind of late. We didn't think we would make it in time for the earlier ferry, but it was as if our car had wings, and we made it in pleanty of time. We had a wonderful vacation, and would you believe it that all during that week we didn't meet any of my sister's friends?
======================================