Sunday, June 10, 2012

What have you been doing?

Pam Padgett ... teacher

A couple who live near me, Leo and Carol, have been retired for a few years.  They stay very busy traveling and doing volunteer work with multiple organizations when they are in town.  Shortly after we started the blog I happened to talk with Carol and told her about it and how we're able to share things God has shown us with each other on Internet.  She is not a Christian, so I'm sure this didn't make much sense to her. 

Last week they returned from a long trip.  When I saw Carol a few days ago, she asked what I had been doing.  I told her I was still very much enjoying sharing things on Internet, and also spending time with my dogs which are older and need special attention more and more.  She didn't say much.  Yesterday evening there was a concert at a nearby park, and I sat near Carol and another couple from our neighborhood.  They were talking about volunteer work they do with a dog rescue organization.  Carol asked if I'd like to volunteer with this organization.  I immediately thought of how difficult it would be for me to work with these dogs and not want to bring every one of them home, and I declined by telling her this.   

This morning, I received two emails from Carol with more "opportunities" to get involved in volunteer work.  After praying about how to handle these emails, I realized that I'm staying as busy as I want to be and am very happy with what I am doing.  So, I don't plan to take on other activities.  This is what I told Carol.   

God has allowed me to have a very peaceful and quite life at this point.  I'm able to just spend time reading the Bible and dealing with myself by the scriptures, as led by the Holy Spirit.  And I feel so fortunate that we are able to share with each other.  These things are precious to me but, of course, make no sense to those of the world.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

As I thought of how peaceful and quite my life is, I was reminded of Psalm 23: 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. I don't want to leave the "green pasture" and "still waters" God has provided for me by getting involved in activities God hasn't led me to do.  And these worldly activities are often very hard.  One of the Carol's volunteer "opportunities" started at 5am; the other one involved fund raising for a non-profit organization.  God's ways are so much easier than the ways of man. 

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light
-----------------------

(Comments by Joan Boney:  It is amazing how many times "pastors" will write me telling me that "God" told them I would come to their countries and help with their churches.  What these "pastors" say is nonsense.  If they were reading the writings, I feel they would not be saying such puffed up statements.  They are like the people who try to involve Pam in their volunteer works.  But these "pastors" go one step further.  They say "God" told them this concerning me...  Two years ago, I had accident followed by problem operation and am now partially crippled.  I am 74 years old.  Sometimes it is painful just to walk from one room to another in my house.  I know it is not God talking to "pastors" who say such things to me.)
===============================================