Friday, June 29, 2012

Helping

Pam Padgett
Luke 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? 27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. 28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour? 30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. 33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, 34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee. 36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? 37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.


As I read about the Samaritan who helped the man who had been left half dead by thieves, it stood out to me that the injured man came across the Samaritan's path.  As he journeyed, he saw the injured man, had compassion on him, and helped him.  He hadn't set out to find someone to help, but when someone came across his path who genuinely needed help, he helped him.  The injured man also came across the path of the priest and the Levite, but they did not help him, not loving their neighbor as themselves.   

Before I retired, each year in late November and early December most people I worked with would look for "needy" people they could "help" by buying Christmas gifts for them.  As I saw the various activities (finding "needy" people, collecting money, finding out what the needy people wanted, shopping, wrapping the gifts), it all seemed hard and wrong.  I tried to stay as far away from these activities as I could, but was still aware of them.  Sometimes I heard things that showed one of the fruits of what was being done was greed.  Although these people were trying to do good, I believe these things were actually foolish and evil.    

One year while these activities were going on at work, a widow who lives across the street asked me to drive her to have out-patient hand surgery.  It was no problem for me to do this.  Knowing it would probably be hard for her to cook for a day or two after the surgery, I also asked if she would like to come to my house to eat or I could bring food to her house.  As I quietly went about doing these things, while at the same time seeing the flurry of activities at work to find and help needy people, it was as if my eyes were opened to see that this widow wasn't "needy" because I was her neighbor.  I hadn't looked for someone in need, but she had come across my path and I just did what I saw, and was able, to do.  It was very simple to do what needed to be done, and not at all hard. 

As we go through this life, we sometimes come across people who need help that we are able to provide.  When we see such, we are to help them ... not being like the priest or Levite.  And we are to do this whenever these people come across our paths, not just once a year.  Often these aren't big works, but very simple things that we see to do as we're going about our day.  We just need to do those things.  I believe this is what we see in the case of the Samaritan, and is proper order in the sight of God.

(Comments by Joan Boney ... Several years ago, a deacon in a Baptist Church came to me and said his church had taken up Christmas collection for the needy and he asked me if I knew any needy people.  I replied, "If I knew any needy people they wouldn't be needy.")
=============================