Saturday, July 12, 2014

Jesus tells what the church is founded upon

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

Mt. 16 ... 13When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 14And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist:  some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 15He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

A few years ago, I learned that the Catholics are taught by their church leaders that Peter founded the Catholic Church.

I was thinking of this recently when I read the above scripture.

I wondered if they got this idea from what Jesus said in verse 18 ...And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church;

But if they did, they misread this scripture for the rock upon which Jesus said he would build HIS church is not Peter ... the rock is the revealed word from God.  ... And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

The rock is not the confession that Jesus is the Christ.

The rock is the Word God revealed to Peter... the church is built upon that word revealed to us by God ... and the gates of hell will not prevail over that which God speaks to us.

One day I was speaking to my contractor who is Catholic.  He was complaining about the pedophiles in the Catholic priests.  I remarked if they would stop prohibiting priests from marrying there might not be so much sexual perversion among the priests.  My contractor said, "Well ... I don't know about that."  I replied Peter was married.  (At the time I said this I had no idea they thought the Catholic Church was founded by Peter.)  My contractor gasped aloud!  He was very shocked.  I took Bible and read the scripture which speaks of Peter's mother in law.  My contractor sat there dazed.

Mt. 8 ...14And when Jesus was come into Peter’s house, he saw his wife’s mother laid, and sick of a fever. 15And he touched her hand, and the fever left her: and she arose, and ministered unto them.