Sunday, July 27, 2014

Claiming scripture: correct and incorrect use

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

There is a correct way to "claim" scripture and an incorrect way to "claim" scripture.

Here are examples of both ways.

Incorrect way to claim scripture to get what you want ...  I wanted to marry.  I hunted scripture to justify my prayer ... One scripture I recall "claiming" in prayer was"  "None shall want her mate ..."  Isaiah 34 ... 16Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them. 


I dated several men at church.  I continually "claimed" this scripture.... every morning ... I believed this scripture ...

There was just one flaw ... I did not know the will of God for my life.  Nor did I seek God's will, "Not my will but THY will be done." ... I just wanted this.

At a prayer group, everyone was praying for me to marry and seemed to have no doubt I would marry soon.  (That was in the 1970's.)  The leader of the group said, "Of course it has to be God's will for Joan to marry ... "  then she added ... "But of course it is God's will ..."  So everyone prayed.

My best friend at that time was also praying for me to marry and she heard the following as she prayed:  "MY grace is sufficient for her."  (I suspect Donna quit praying for me to marry after hearing that.)  She told me but this didn't stop me at all.  Finally, I just had to realize that this was not God's will for me and I accepted it.

This is an example of incorrect claiming of scripture to get what you want... and of incorrect prayer.

A correct use of "claiming" scripture comes when God gives you a scripture and you keep that scripture before you day and night to keep your faith up.

Here is example of correct "claiming" of scripture.

This happened to me shortly after I was born again.  I owned a business in Dallas and a man filed a lawsuit against me.  I had the following scripture called to my attention by the Holy Spirit ... Isaiah 54:17 ... No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

For several months this law suit hung over me and I was terrified from day to day ... I kept this scripture and others given me by the Holy Spirit in front of me to sustain me during this difficult period.  I believe these scriptures were the will of God in this matter against me ... no weapon would stand against me ... This was certainly a very powerful weapon for had this man won this law suit, he could have taken my business away and all my materials possessions.

I therefore kept this scripture before me day and night to get me strength in moments of terror.

But that scripture was not something I found but rather it was called to my mind by the Spirit of God therefore I had assurance that this was God showing me this would not prevail over me.  My "claiming" of this scripture was more a building of my faith in that which God had shown me by His Spirit for it is the Spirit of God that reminds us of things of God showing us the will of God in the issue of this life.  (I Cor. 2)

Six days before the trial, the man dropped all charges.  I was set free!