Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Desires of our hearts

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Recently I received an email from a veterinarian I once used when my pets needed medical care.  In the email he asked how my dog, which had cancer, was doing.  I told him I had recently had the dog put to sleep.  In his reply to this news he said he believed we would be re-united again with these animals in heaven because God gives us the desires of our hearts. 

Later what this man said was called to my attention, and I realized that the desire of my heart is to be with God and to worship HIM.  I haven't even thought of wanting to see the animals I've had on this earth again.  The various animals bring a lot of enjoyment to me as I live on this earth, and I am grateful to God to have them for a time.  But the desire of my heart is be with God and serve Him. 

I recalled a dream I once had ...
I was in a large group of people in the presence of God, although I didn't see God in the dream.  We were dressed in white robes and were all praising God ... that was our entire focus.  Although we saw each other, our attention was not drawn to one another, but to God.  I was glad that so many people were praising HIM, because HE is worthy of praise. 

Although the vet didn't reference a scripture when saying that God gives us the desires of our hearts, he may have heard the following at some point and missed the first part of what we're told here ...   

Psalm 37:4 Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

When we delight ourselves in God and in HIS Word, we desire to hear and to go according to the word of God, to please HIM in all our ways.  And we desire to be with Him forever.

I was also reminded of what was revealed to Isaiah about that which is to come.  Rather than longing for things of this world, they won't be remembered ...

Isaiah 65:17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.