Wednesday, July 9, 2014

God knows all things

Pam Padgett ... teacher

A few years after starting to work as computer programmer, I was given my first large project to lead.  A small group of us worked for several months on the project.  Although we had encountered problems along the way, the system we were developing had gone through two tests successfully and was about to go through the third and final test. 

Then I was told by the people who had given requirements for the system that some new functionality needed to be added.  I reminded them that we had discussed this functionality some months before and they had said it was not critical and could be added later.  They told me that although that is what they thought at the time, they had now determined the system was unusable without this.  I quickly thought of what it would take to add this functionality, and told them it would take at least a few months to add it.  They said the project would just need to be delayed. 

Having worked so hard on this project for several months and thinking we had everything ready, it was very disheartening to receive this news.  I went back to my desk and considered if there was any way to add this functionality in perhaps a few weeks, but it was clear to me it would take months.  Although I'm sure I turned to God with my disappointment, I don't think it occurred to me to ask if there was another way to add the needed functionality. 

But that night I was awakened from sleep "knowing" how to add this functionality with just a few lines of code.  These few lines of code caused the system to do something I had never done before and had never seen any other programmers do, but it seemed that it should work.  I went to work early the next day and in less than 30 minutes had added this code on a test computer.  The new functionality worked beautifully!  But what would happen when it ran on the main computers with many other applications?   Having never seen anything like this done before, and having no way to test this with all the other applications, I was concerned.  Then I had the thought to ask the tech lead about this.  I asked if she saw any problems with adding the type of code I had added.  She said she didn't see any problem with it, but couldn't imagine why anyone would want to do such a thing.  When I explained the new functionality and how this new code provided that, she sounded amazed as she heard this and realized how this could work.  And it did. 

I believe God gave me this way to add the functionality as I slept.  So simple, yet non-typical, and it worked beautifully with no problems of any kind. 

Before that day I don't think I had ever thought of God considering such small details as exact lines of programming code.  But this clearly showed me that God knows all things and is able to help us no matter what we are dealing with.