Friday, June 7, 2013

Turning to God in prayer

Pam Padgett ... teacher

While reading Psalm 142, it stood out to me how blessed we are able to go to God in prayer with everything we face as we live on this earth.

Rather than depending on ourselves or another person, we can cry out to God, the creator of all things and the One who has all power.  Turning to God and pouring our hearts out to Him are what God wants us to do.  And He will help us.  

Psalm 142:1 I cried unto the Lord with my voice; with my voice unto the Lord did I make my supplication. 2 I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble.

We may be overwhelmed, but God knows everything about the situation, even what may be hidden from us, and HE cares about us ... 

Psalm 142:3 When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me. 4 I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.

And, regardless of what we are facing, or how strong, important, or impossible the problem seems to us, God is able to help us ....

Psalm 142:5 I cried unto thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living. 6 Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I. 7 Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me.

We can sometimes become busy or distracted and not turn to God with what we are facing.  Sometimes the problem seems so small we don't think we need to pray.  Recently I've been trying to be very diligent to pray about each thing that I need to deal with.  When I stop and pray instead of trying to deal with a matter on my own (trusting in God instead of myself), often its as though a weight lifts from me.  God knows what is best, cares for us, and is able to show us what, if anything, we need to do. 

While thinking about these things, I have been reminded that Paul exhorted us to pray about everything, and told of God helping and keeping us as we do this ... Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)