Friday, June 28, 2013

God cares for us

Pam Padgett ... teacher

1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Recently some birds started building nests out of mud high on the side of my house, above the deck where I enjoy sitting during the summer.  Although some mud dropped onto the deck below the nests, I didn't think this was going to be a problem at first.  Then one morning a large number of birds were swarming around, and mud was falling, including right at the doorway to the house.  This was now very disturbing to me, and I was in kind of a panic but didn't know what to do.  I knew the birds were just trying to prepare nests to lay eggs and raise their young, and didn't want to harm them.  But would this continue getting worse?  I turned to God saying that I didn't know what to do, but that HE knew the best way to handle this.  A thought kept coming to check on the internet about these birds.  I learned that these birds are cliff swallows, and they build their nests in colonies, even hundreds of nests in the same location!  An ad on the side of the web page was for exterminators who deal with birds.  I contacted an exterminator in my area.  There were no eggs in the nests yet, and he removed the nests without hurting the birds. 

It was such a relief to have the nests removed, but that night the swallows came back, swooping around the house, seeming to be looking for their nests.  I felt so sorry for the birds, who had worked so diligently to build the nests so they could lay eggs.  This caused me to worry about the birds, until I had the thought to pray that the birds would quickly find a place to build their nests where they wouldn't be bothered.  And I was reminded that God cares for the birds, knowing even when a sparrow falls ...  Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.  (Matthew 10:29)    After praying, casting this care on God and being reminded of Matthew 10:29, I was no longer worried about the swallows. 

Another care ... I've been taking one of my dogs to a training class as the first step in becoming certified as a therapy dog.  I found myself becoming anxious when the dog didn't pickup on some of the things.  Then I remembered to pray, and asked God to help me and the dog, committing all of this to God to work out as He wills.  After praying, I was able to relax and not worry.  And when practicing with the dog, I've even been reminded to pray for wisdom in how to work with the dog. 

All of these things are very small matters, but were like weights to me, and kept me from being in peace.  It is amazing and wonderful that God cares about us and helps us, even with such small things.