Monday, August 31, 2015

Standing on the Word of God series: Example 18

From Pam Padgett

 I worked for many years as a software developer at FedEx.  At one point I was assigned to lead a project that some of the vice presidents of the company were very interested in knowing about.  A small group of us were assigned to work on the project.  However, we were also given other assignments and told the other assignments were higher priority.  As a result, almost nothing could be done on the project.  I told both my manager and his boss that we could not make much progress on this project as long as we had these other, higher-priority, assignments.  They both said they understood and that we should just do the best that we could. 

Periodically a vice president would ask about the status of this project.  My manager, his boss, and another person would put together a presentation about the project for the vice president.  Since I was leading the project, they would ask me about its progress while they prepared the presentation and I would tell them the truth ... that little or no real progress had been made and remind them why this was the case. 

But when I would later see the presentation, it sounded as though the project was progressing with no problems!  I spoke with my manager and the people who prepared the presentation to make sure they understood that very little was being done on the project and pointed out how the presentation did not reflect this.   They said they understood, but it was obvious they didn't want to hear what I said and they went ahead with their presentations. 

I was very disturbed by all of this and continually prayed asking God to help me.  A scripture that strongly stood out to me and guided me during this time was:

1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

I must walk in light, in truth, even in secular matters such as this.  Those of the world walk in darkness, easily lying if they think it will bring them some advantage.  But I am no longer of the world.  Because I belong to God I am to walk in light (truth) not in darkness (lies).  I can't fellowship with God and people of God if I walk in darkness. 

Problems with this project went on for several months.  It was obvious that my manager, his boss, and the woman preparing the presentations hated it when I told the truth about the status of this project.  Multiple times thoughts came that it seemed to do no good to continue telling these people the real status of this project.  Should I just keep quiet and let them report whatever they wanted?  Did it really matter?  

But as I continued to think on what we're told in 1John 1:5-7 and a clung to this, I was strengthened that it does matter that I walk in what is true.  And I was able to continue presenting the truth about this project even though doing this was ignored and despised by some. 

Then one day we were told that a vice president was coming to meet with the project team.  Again, a misleading presentation was prepared.  I was very concerned that when the presentation was given at this meeting I might burst out screaming in anger, and prayed asking God whether I should even go to the meeting.  When I believed I was led to attend the meeting, I prayed asking God to please keep me under control to speak what HE wanted me to speak and nothing more.

When the meeting began the woman who had prepared the latest presentation handed a copy to the vice president.  He immediately set it aside and said he didn't want to see a presentation ... he wanted to hear from those on the project team.  I opened my mouth and was surprised at how calmly and clearly words came forth telling the real status of the project.  My manager and the woman who had prepared the presentation could say nothing to refute what I said and just looked down as the others assigned to do the work were nodding their heads in agreement with what I said.  The vice president immediately took action to hire more people to do the other assignments so we could work on this project.

==========


Please share with us the examples you have where you stood on a scripture to fight fear or persecution so we can print your example on the blog to encourage others.  

Email: joanboney@sbcglobal.net