Friday, August 28, 2015

Dealing with what God leads us to do today

Pam Padgett ... teacher

About a week ago an error message started appearing on my tv screen when I selected a couple of the channels I sometimes watch, including Smithsonian.  The error message sounded like it was a problem at the cable company and for a couple days I took no action, thinking the cable company was probably aware of the problem, and there were shows on other channels that interested me. 

On Sunday evening a show I was interested in seeing was scheduled on Smithsonian, but I still got the error message earlier in the day.  I called the cable company to report the problem and gave them the error message that displayed.  The woman said she needed to send the problem to their technical team and it should be resolved within 72 hours.  But by Tuesday evening the problem was still happening, and I had come across even more channels getting this error message. 

I was very tired that evening and didn't want to deal with the cable company until the next day.  In the past when I've called the cable company they want me to do various things, like check all the connections which are hard to reach, and I didn't want to go through those steps that evening. 

But I started talking with God about this and my heart was changed, wanting to deal with this that night and not put it off.  The concept of dealing with what is before me "today" was strongly in my heart regarding this matter. 

I called the cable company that evening.  Surprisingly, the man I spoke with did not ask me to do anything.  He said he would run tests from where he was and try to resolve the problem.  When nothing he did worked, he scheduled one of their technicians to come to my house the following day to resolve the problem. 

That morning I was so glad to have been led to call the cable company the previous night and already have this appointment set. 

The technician came to my house and diagnosed that the problem is at their facility and said it was being worked on. 

Although the tv problem was not resolved while he was here, there was an interesting benefit in the technician come to my house yesterday ... my telephone, internet, and tv are all through the cable company.  Last winter there were problems with each of these and the cable company had come and laid a new line between my house and their main box.  Everything worked well after they did this. 

But recently when I've been talking on the telephone, the phone sometimes would cut in and out.  I thought maybe there was something wrong with my telephone handsets or base unit, but the problem was intermittent and it was hard to clearly nail down the problem. 

Before the technician left yesterday he told me that he had checked all the connections coming into my house.  He said when the new line was laid last winter, the connections had not been full crimped and they had started to fray.  He said he had cleaned up the frayed ends and secured the connections.  As he told me this, I remembered the phone trouble I've been having and asked if this might be the cause of that.  He said that was very likely. 

After he left Joan and I were talking on the telephone and I noticed that there was no cutting in and out. 

This, again, made me very happy to have been led to deal with what was before me Tuesday night by calling the cable company.

Just as a shepherd leading his sheep, God leads us to do each day what is needed that day.  HE knows all things, including what is best in the situation, what lies ahead, and how to lead us.  We just need to do what we are led by God to do today.