Friday, August 28, 2015

Standing on the Word of God series: Example 15

From Pam Padgett

When I bought my house several years ago a golf course was right behind my property.  I found it pleasant to have the openness of that area and to sometimes see wildlife like fox and geese. 

But then almost 2 years ago the golf course closed.  The homeowner's association for this area notified us that the owner of the golf course was trying to sell the land, probably to a developer who would build houses on the land. 

Last summer one of my neighbors told me about meetings that were planned by homeowners in this community to join together to try to fight having the property sold to a developer who would build lots of houses on what is now open land.

When I first heard about these meetings, my flesh was very strongly "set on fire" to get involved in all of this, wanting do something to try to keep the openness.  I even asked the neighbor to let me know if she heard when the first meeting was scheduled. 

But then I turned to God with this and was reminded to take no thought for tomorrow:  

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.  34Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.  (Matthew 6:33-34)


There was no problem for me "today" where the golf course land was concerned.  I just need to do each day what I am led by God to do that day, and not worry and try to deal with what may (or may not) happen in the future.  God knows what I need and how to work out my life according to HIS purpose as I go in the way HE leads me. 

I was also reminded of the following scripture together with an understanding that people try to keep things from changing (certainly this is what I wanted to do).  But all the things we see now are temporary and will be destroyed at the end of this world. 

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.  14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

I need to be diligent to be in peace, without spot, and blameless, not striving to keep temporary things of this world in place, such as the openness of the land behind my house. 

I started focusing on these things, and worked to not let my mind think about tomorrow and be willing for God to work this out as HE willed.  Trying to conform my thinking and what I did in this matter according to Matt. 6:34 and 2 Peter 3:10-14. 

Also I didn't go to any of the homeowners meetings nor try to keep up with was was being done at these meetings.  The purpose of the meetings was to plan for tomorrow and fight to keep worldly things in place.  (Without asking I did hear that there was a lot of strife at the meetings as various people fought for what they thought was best in dealing with the problem.  I was very glad to have been led by these scriptures to not go to these meetings.) 

It took work to keep what God has said about this matter from slipping.  It seems wrong to people of this world when we don't join them in fights like this.  There was kind of a shame the few times I was asked if I was involved in these efforts and I said "no". 

When someone would mention something about the golf course situation to me, I found myself reviewing Matt. 6:34 and 2Peter 3:10-14 in my mind.  And I tried to pray about what to say and to say that, and not get carried away with their words.   

Another thing I did to keep going in the way shown in these scriptures was to avoid some of the people who live down the street.  From previous very minor issues that have come up in the neighborhood and comments I had heard these people make after the golf course first closed, they would likely be irate over the thought of houses being built on the golf course land.  I felt it wasn't wise to put myself in the way of these people.  Whereas I once would have walked past their house when trying to train my dogs to walk nicely on a leash and to greet people, I started taking the dogs on other streets. 

(While writing this, I recalled an email which was sent to homeowners in this area to let us know the golf course has been sold to a developer, and thought of the strife and futility I've been kept from by focusing on, and clinging to, the scriptures given me in this matter. )

==========




Please share with us the examples you have where you stood on a scripture to fight fear or persecution so we can print your example on the blog to encourage others.  

Email: joanboney@sbcglobal.net