Thursday, August 27, 2015

Patience through God

Cathy Varner ... Member of body of Christ

A few years ago our washer had some problems and we bought a new one.  But it sat for awhile, not hooked up and usable.  I either had to go to laundromat or to my mother-in-law's to use her washer.  Going to her house was actually a nice convenience, for she lived fairly close, plus the washers at laundromat didn't always work well.  But knowing I had a washer at home that I couldn't use was upsetting, and one day anger over this took over me.  I knew this was wrong but I couldn't get it under control.  The whole day I just kept crying out to God for help.

Later, by early evening, I felt much more settled.  I had a visitor and was able to talk calmly, not bringing up the situation in any bitter way.  Then the next morning, I felt fine, at peace.  There was no anger at all.  I knew I was completely healed of the anger I'd had.  I still had to pack up my dirty clothes and go to my mother-in-laws, but I was ok with it.  And the new washer got hooked up fairly soon.  When I think of this I marvel at how God made such a complete change in my heart.

Comments by Joan Boney ...

When I read this, I was reminded of:

James 1 ... 26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Through turning to God for help, we control our tongue.  Our flesh wants to lash out but we control our flesh by turning to God and refusing to allow the flesh to reign ... but don't try to control your flesh by will power ... turn to God ... flesh is not controlled by flesh.  Control flesh in spiritual way by turning to God in prayer.

Recently I saw a documentary about World Trade Center.  A woman was watching the disaster and she said, "I went to church immediately for somehow I wanted to talk with God."  She was crying as she told this.

I thought, "How sad that this woman thinks she has to go to a church building to talk with God." 

Also I realized this woman who appeared to the world to be doing a godly thing was crying when this documentary was made approximately 5 years after the event.

What I saw was a very fleshly woman whose flesh is out of control.