Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Standing on the Word of God series: Example 13

From Joan Boney

At the time I was born again (1975), I owned a business in American Indian Arts.

A man sued me for 1-million-dollars.  I didn't know this man and I had very much trouble taking this seriously.  I had approximately $2000 in money at the time.

Then I realized if I didn't respond to this legal matter, a judgment could come against me and this man could take all the merchandise from my business.  So I hired a lawyer.

Over the coming months, the legal bills came in and it was taking all the money from profits of my business to pay the legal bills.  At the rate I was going, I would be in debt to the lawyers.  I had worked very hard to get out of debt, believing this was the way God wanted me to operate my business.

What to do about this?

I asked God and was reminded of the following scripture:

Isaiah 54 ...

 17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper;
and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn.
This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord,
and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord.


I kept this scripture before me day and night and thought of what God was saying to me through this scripture.

As a servant of the Lord, born again, belonging now to God, I was persuaded this scripture applied to me.

This lawsuit was a weapon against me.

It would not prosper.

If it would not prosper against me, why did I need lawyer?

Based upon this, I decided to dismiss my lawyer and go to court without any human legal counsel.

The lawyer said, "Joan, you can't do this.  You don't know how evil these courts are."

I just explained to Gordon that I am now a Christian and as a Christian this promise in this scripture applies to me.  Therefore this lawsuit will not prosper against me.

Weeks or months passed with this lawsuit hanging over me as we waiting for the trial date.  While waiting, I took the Isaiah 54:17-18 and all other scriptures God gave me for support, and I recorded them on cassette tape and when I went to bed at night I would start the tape and hear those scriptures.  When I awoke in the night, I would turn the tape over and heard them again as I went back to sleep.  (I filled both sides of the cassette tape with faith building scripture which I repeated over and over.)

During the day, I had those same scriptures on individual note cards which I kept with me and looked at many times throughout the day, especially when I was afraid.

The entire thing was terrifying.

A few months passed.

Six days before we were scheduled for trial the man dropped all charges against me and against the other dealers in American Indian Arts.

It was over!  The weapon formed against me did not prosper.  I came out of the situation with my business debt free.  And the situation taught me a great deal about standing by faith on the scriptures.

I feel like David who knew that sling shot would work, for over and over in the trials of life I have clung to various scriptures and have overcome each trial because of the scripture given me by the Holy Spirit.  But I had to work to overcome, clinging to that scripture with all my heart and focusing over and over on that scripture (or scriptures) given in each trial.

But it does work.   And nothing else is like it.  I've never seen it fail and never will see it fail for that scripture given by God during the specific trial of life will never be overcome.  But we do have to work to believe it and to hold onto it.

This is what Paul meant when he said:

I Cor. 13 ...13 I can do all things through Christ (The Word) which strengtheneth me.

==========


Please share with us the examples you have where you stood on a scripture to fight fear or persecution so we can print your example on the blog to encourage others.  

Email: joanboney@sbcglobal.net