Monday, September 29, 2014

I Cor. 10:13

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.  

temptation:

- desire to do something wrong or unwise

Comments by Joan Boney :   

This is a very interesting definition of temptation ... It can be wrong according to the Word of God ...

Or it could be "unwise" ...

In my recent exploration of the air conditioning problem in my master bedroom, there is plenty of money to pay for a new unit for that area, but is it wise to do so.  This is the question in my mind.  And only God knows the answer.  So in prayer, I commit the issue to God ...

I have often run into this question:  Is it wise to do this?

In I Cor. 10:13 ... we read that God will not allow us to be tempted "above that ye are able" ... above that which you are able to deal with or withstand.

able:

having the power, skill, means, or opportunity to deal with the temptation

Then Paul says:  


14Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.


idolatry:  

- extreme admiration, love, or reverence for something or someone

==========

The apostle James speaks of being tempted and James says ...

James 1 ... 12Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
13Let no man say when he is tempted,  I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:  14But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 


Lust is not only sexual lust ...

Lust means "strong desire" ...

It could be any form of "strong desire" that opens that door for you to be tempted.

I Cor. 10 ... 20But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils

21Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord’s table, and of the table of devils. 

22Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?