Sunday, September 14, 2014

Must keep flesh from ruling in our lives

Pam Padgett - teacher

When Paul exhorted us about running the race, he said he kept under his body.  He kept his flesh from rising up and ruling in his life ... 

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. 

Paul took steps to keep his flesh from ruling in his life so he would be able to run and win the race and not be cast away (rejected) before reaching the end of the race.


every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things ...

In order to run and complete the race we need to be temperate ... showing moderation or self-restraint.  When we're temperate, we stay focused on the race set before us.  We're careful about what other activities we get involved in so they don't consume us or take us away from the race. 

I enjoy training and doing various activities with my dog.  But these activities cannot rule my life.  It is up to me to make sure I'm spending the time I need in scripture, and not allow these other activities to pull me away. 

I therefore so run, not as uncertainly;

The flesh often leads in an uncertain way, set on fire to take action, any action, just for the sake of doing something in a matter.  Recently after hearing about neighbors meeting to come up with plans for what to do if the community golf course was sold to a developer, my flesh was stirred up to "do something", although I had no idea what to do. 

But when God has led me, there has not been uncertainty.  I often don't see the whole way ahead (just as a runner may not see the entire race course), but the Holy Spirit leads me clearly in the first step to take.  As I take that step, then the next step is shown in plenty of time to take it.  I've been led in each step needed when it is the Holy Spirit leading me.

The word brought to me by the Holy Spirit (scripture, a thought, dream) shines brighter and brighter on the way I am to go as I focus on that word. 

so fight I, not as one that beateth the air

Beating the air, our efforts would be on futile things ... useless, incapable of bringing forth what is needed, of no benefit ... getting no closer to where we need to be. 

I have to fight daily to continue moving forward in the race, to not become distracted or complacent, and to complete the race.  To be diligent each day to deal with the scriptures I'm given, seeking to understand from God what I am being shown for my life so that word become part of my life.

I can't just go through the motions of fighting, such as lightly reading scripture with little or no thought of what I'm are being shown in my life.