Friday, September 19, 2014

Helping an enemy


Pam Padgett - teacher

I received an email from a woman asking for the telephone number of the man who has done landscape work for me.  I was happy to send this to her. 

A little later I thought of how a couple years ago this woman misjudged me and verbally attacked me because I was helping my elderly next door neighbor who had fallen, broken his hip, and was in a rehab hospital.  This woman and I have talked briefly a couple times and sent a few emails since then, but mostly she avoids me.

Yet here I was genuinely happy to help her with this small matter.  There was no resentment or wanting to hold back from her. 

As I was thinking about this and how strange it seems, I was reminded that God gives rain to the just and the unjust ...

Matthew 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

The only reason I don't hate or resent this woman is because God has chosen me, given me His Spirit, and is conforming me to Himself.  I don't think I have before recognized what God has done in my life in this area, and it caused me to be thankful to God.