Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Holy Spirit comes ... and remains

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

Jn. 1 ... 29The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.  30This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me. 31And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water. 32And John bare record, saying,  I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. 33And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

New Covenant ... for those belonging to God ... we are given the Holy Spirit ... and the Holy Spirit comes and remains in us to lead us and guide us ...   (unless we be reprobate) ... (II Cor. 13...  5Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves.  Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? 6But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates. )

The Old and New testaments are different in that not everyone was given the Holy Spirit in the OT.  But in New Covenant all who belong to God are given the Holy Spirit.  This is critical.  For by the Holy Spirit we know the will of God in the issues of this life.  We are well able to overcome and are supposed to overcome because we have been equipped by God HIMSELF to overcome in the New Covenant, having been given HIS Spirit.

I am never poor or needy.  If I do have a need, I can pray and God settles that need.  It does not continue because I have the Holy Spirit in me to show me what to do.

John the Baptist was told by God that he would recognize Jesus because "upon whom he saw the Holy Spirit descending, and remaining" would be the Son of God.

The remaining is significant for us ...

There were some in the OT who had the Spirit of God.

Caleb was one described as having "another Spirit" ... Numbers 14 ... (God says) ... 24But my servant Caleb, because he had another spirit with him, and hath followed me fully, him will I bring into the land whereinto he went; and his seed shall possess it.


Psa. 51 ...
David plead with God ...  11Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. 12Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. 13Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee. 

(We recall how David had Uriah killed in battle ... and David took Bathsheba in fornication before Uriah was killed ... )

God removed HIS Spirit from Saul and gave it to David ... I Sam. 18 ... 6And it came to pass as they came, when David was returned from the slaughter of the Philistine, that the women came out of all cities of Israel, singing and dancing, to meet king Saul, with tabrets, with joy, and with instruments of musick.   7And the women answered one another as they played, and said, Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands. 8And Saul was very wroth, and the saying displeased him; and he said, They have ascribed unto David ten thousands, and to me they have ascribed but thousands: and what can he have more but the kingdom?  9And Saul eyed David from that day and forward. 10And it came to pass on the morrow, that the evil spirit from God came upon Saul, and he prophesied in the midst of the house: and David played with his hand, as at other times: and there was a javelin in Saul’s hand. 11And Saul cast the javelin; for he said, I will smite David even to the wall with it. And David avoided out of his presence twice.
12And Saul was afraid of David, because the LORD was with him, and was departed from Saul.
But with Jesus we have the example of the spirit coming down on Jesus, and remaining ...

And Jesus said to HIS disciples:  Jn. 16:7 ... It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Acts 1 ... 8But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.   


We have been given the Holy Spirit.  And the Holy Spirit lives in us and remains in us.

Therefore we are always well able to overcome at all times in everything because the Spirit of God shows us the will of God in each issue of this present life.

We are never poor and needy in the church today.  We have everything we need.  God has well equipped us to overcome.