Monday, May 21, 2012

Emulations?

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Humans often try to follow what someone else does.  Someone looks successful or wise or good in some other way.  The flesh, wanting the same things, tries to get them by doing what the other person does.  This is one of the fruits of the flesh, emulation, we're told of in Galatians 5:20. 

When I was a child, approximately 5 or 6 years old, a doctor noticed a foot problem and prescribed special shoes for me to wear.  Although the shoes were quite expensive, my parents purchased them for me so I could walk without increasing problems.  As my sister and I walked to school, we saw teen-aged girls also walking to school.  For some reason (I don't recall what now), I wanted to be just like one of these girls.  I wanted to talk, act, and walk just like her.  This girl happened to be pigeon-toed, so I started walking pigeon-toed.  When my mom saw me walking like this she was alarmed and asked why I was walking like that.  My parents had gone to considerable expense to help me walk without problems, and here I was walking in such a way that would cause problems ... because I was trying to imitate/follow someone else. 

As I recalled this, I was reminded that we have been redeemed from ways of this world by the blood of Jesus Christ.  What a tremendous price was paid for us!  We and are no longer servants to the flesh and sin, but are able to walk in the ways of God, being led by the Holy Spirit and conformed to the image of Jesus Christ. 

1 Peter 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear: 18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, 21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Our faith and hope should be in God, not in other people or in ways of this world.  God leads us in the right and best ways for us to go, and delivers us from futile and vain things that are required by traditions and wisdom of this world.  We no longer have to try to work things out with our minds or to follow what seems to "work" for others.  Rather, we are to turn to God and ask Him what we should do, and go in that way.  And, as we go in the way God leads us, paying attention to the word He gives us, our minds are constantly renewed to what is good and right in the sight of God.  We don't know what is truly best for us, but God does. 

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.


Yesterday I was considering making a rather large purchase, a new refrigerator.  The thought "maybe you can get it on sale" came.  Immediately the Holy Spirit reminded me of  Phillipians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Certainly, the world teaches that it is wise to search out a "good deal".  Am I going to follow the ways of the world, or believe that God will supply what I need according to His riches in glory?  I turned to God and asked Him to show me if I need a new refrigerator at this time and, if so, exactly which one would be best, when to purchase it, and where to purchase it.  If I am led by God, all my needs will be well supplied. 

God has provided a wonderful way for us as we live on this earth ... we are led by God Himself through the Holy Spirit ...  and we need to follow Him alone.

---------------

Renee Bonfield ... evangelist

This reminds me of several years ago my husband and I went to PC Richard to purchase a new refrigerator. We looked over a huge selection. The more I saw the more I hated every one of them. Wheeler (my husband) thought we aught to find one that was not too expensive. (he's not born again) So I went to where no one could see me and asked God to find the refrigerator that was right for us. After seeing a few more, the next refrigerator seemed to be calling me. When I looked inside it was just what I wanted, but it was $1,000.00. Wheeler said it was too expensive. I again prayed and told God that this is just exactly what I wanted, and that if we were to have this to please put it into Wheeler's heart to let us buy it. When I came back to where Wheeler was he said "Well, if you really want this refrigerator, lets go ahead and get it.

----------------

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute?  25He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? 26Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. 27Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee. Mt. 17

What a big deal money gets to be to us ... and how simple it was to Jesus ...
========================================================================