Friday, May 25, 2012

Frightening and dangerous situation

Pam Padgett ... teacher

This week,  I was reminded of how God helped me in a frightening and dangerous situation several years ago.

It had been extremely cold for several days, and the lake at the park near my home was frozen over.  I took my dog for a walk around the lake.When this dog saw birds flying overhead, it would often run after them.  On this particular day, the dog was running after some birds, but then the birds started flying over the lake, with the dog following and ignoring my calls for it to come back to shore.  When about 60 feet from shore, the ice broke under the dog and it fell into the freezing water.  The dog tried to pull itself up on the ice again and again, but the ice kept breaking under it.  Finally the dog was too cold and tired to try any more.  I had been calling for help, but no one was around to hear me.

Then I started calling out to God.  Suddenly, I found myself throwing my coat aside and running across the ice as quickly as possible.  This was not a conscious decision I made ... I just found myself doing it as soon as I called out to God.  When I got within about 10 feet of the dog, the ice broke under me, and I fell into the water.  But the water was shallow enough in that area that I could touch the bottom of the lake, and get enough stability to break through the ice with my arms, making my way to the dog.  After pulling the dog onto some solid ice, she ran back to shore, and I was also able to get back to shore.  We were both cold, but fine.

Later I was telling Linda Moore about this.  When I told her how, when the ice broke under me, it was such a relief to be able to touch the bottom of the lake with my feet since I had no idea how deep the water was, she replied "But God knew".