Saturday, May 5, 2012

Competition

Pam Padgett ... teacher

2 Corinthians 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

Compare – estimate, measure, or note the similarity or dissimilarity between
Measure – judge someone or something by comparison with a standard

When we compare ourselves among ourselves, we use  someone else as the “standard” to measure ourselves and what we’re doing ..., rather than seeking to know how God views us and the matter we’re dealing with.  Yet, only God’s judgment matters. 

By our own minds, we could put ourselves into bondage trying to meet a standard that God didn’t set for us, or we could think we’re “fine” when, in fact, we’re not.  We have to turn to God and trust Him to show us His view of us and what we’re doing.  Am I doing what God wants me to do?  This is the standard for each of us. 

2 Corinthians 10: Lord. 18 For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth.

A few months ago when I retired, thoughts came telling me that I hadn’t saved as much money for retirement as other people had saved.  When I turned to God with this thought, one of the scriptures I was  reminded of was 2 Corinthians 10:12.  While looking at this verse, I had an understanding that I don’t know if what other people have saved will be enough for me, or whether it would be more than what I need.  God knows exactly what my needs are …. now and in the future.  And He is able to provide my needs.  He may choose to have me get another job, or not.  But, in some way, He will meet my needs.  Phillipians 4: 19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.  And now, three months later, I look back and rejoice at the way God continues to abundantly provide everything I need.  It makes no difference what other people have done to prepare for retirement, for God leads me and provides for me. 

Another example ... this morning a thought came telling me that I wasn’t sending as many messages as others.  When I turned to God with this thought, I heard “Have you shared everything you’ve been given?”  Rather than considering  what anyone else does, I need to be faithful to share what I’ve been given. 

The temptation to compare ourselves among ourselves comes as we deal with various things.  But we're warned that  it is not wise to go this way.