Monday, May 28, 2012

Does gain show godliness?

Pam Padgett ... teacher

1 Timothy 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; 4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, 5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

Many years ago I attended a rather large church which had a singles group.  Although the church was large, the singles group was very small.  It met one evening each week, with fewer than 10 people on the evenings I attended.  At the time, I worked during the evenings so was not able to attend the group regularly.  But, when I was able to attend, it was edifying to me.  This was not a social gathering.  The man who led the group shared from the Bible, and others were allowed to share as well.  There seemed a caring for things of God among those who attended this group. 

Then the man who had been leading the group left and another man started leading the group.  The first time I attended the group after the new man started leading it, there were well over 100 people there.  At first this seemed wonderful to me.  But this was much more of a social gathering.  People were talking, all at the same time, about all manner of things.  The man leading the group would have some kind of teaching, but what he shared was focused was on finding a mate, not living a life pleasing to God.  Fruits of lust, rather than godliness, came forth strongly ... and people flocked to it.  Although the number of people attending this group continued to increase dramatically, I eventually had to stop attending.

(Comments by Joan Boney) ... Jesus said ...
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:  14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.  Mt. 7

------- 

In 1 Corinthians 14 Paul speaks of how the gathering of the church is to be conducted, including verse 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Recently when I shared the story about the college luau (5-10-12), it was initially difficult for me to tell about my experience at the bar ... wanting to share what had happened accurately, but decently.  Although I Cor. 14:40 was not called to my attention, the concept of sharing in a "decent" way was very strong in me.  This is probably an example of God writing His law in our hearts. 

Hebrews 8:Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

So I prayed and asked God how to share this in a decent way.  The word "lewd" was called to my attention.  This was a very accurate, yet decent, way to describe what had happened in the bar.  I was so grateful to God for showing me a way to share this in a decent way. 

========================================================================