Sunday, May 13, 2012

I have died

Pam Padgett ... teacher

A few years ago I went skiing with some people from work.  During lunch, there were 6-8 people sitting around the table.  The conversation turned to an emergency landing that one of the corporate jets had to make because of mechanical problems.  One of the people at the table had been on the jet and told how it seemed a real possibility that the jet might crash, and that having shared this near-death experience, a bond had been created among those on the jet. 
 
While this conversation was going on, I was thinking, and even talking with God rejoicing, about how these people were talking about a near-death experience … but I have died, and been born again.   
 
Galatians 2: 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
 
2 Corinthians 5: 17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
 
What an amazing way God has for those He calls.  We continue living on this earth, but are very aware that we are not the same person we were before being born again.  We still must deal with our flesh with its lusts and temptations.  But now we have a hunger for the word of God, and there is a desire to please Him. 
 
Even before anyone suggested I do so, I was turning to God, asking Him to help me, knowing that He was (and is) my only hope.  Later, when reading the Bible and in talking with others who have been born again, I saw that these things are common among us.
 
Yet none of these things are of ourselves, but because God has called us and is working in us. 
 
And God has given us His Holy Spirit, the Comforter, to help us …
 
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
 
John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
 
1 Corinthians 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
 
Romans 8: 26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
 
It is by the mercy of God that we have been born again,  called to be the people of God.  We truly are new creatures, called out of darkness to live in His ways, in His light.
 
I Peter 2: 9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.