Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Those who deceive

Pam Padgett ... teacher

As I read 2 Thess. 2:10, I recalled something I’d like to share.  

2 Thess. 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Deceive:
-Cause to believe what is not true
-Give mistaken impression

Satan tries to give a mistaken impression about unrighteousness, possibly making it look “good” or of no consequence (“not a big deal”).

When I was in college I worked in what was called a juvenile delinquency prevention program.  One of the young men who came to this program once told me something that showed he was involved in Satan worship.  I asked if he wasn’t afraid of going to hell.  His response was that he wasn’t afraid of hell because Satan had promised to bring him cool water whenever he wanted.  Out of my mouth came “But he is a liar”.

At that time I hadn’t thought much about Satan and didn’t know that in the Bible we’re told this, so was surprised when I heard these words come out of my mouth.   Later I read John 8:44 and realized what came out of my mouth was the truth … 

John 8: 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

The way this young man was going is so obviously wrong to us.  But the devil tries to deceive us with lies as well, lies that aren’t so obvious to us … lies which, if we believe them, will cause us to believe what is not true and go in a way of unrighteousness …  instead of in the way of truth and light.

Going in the way of truth is unpleasant to our flesh if it costs us in some way.   And truth from God shows us our sin, which we don’t want to see.  The devil may tell us that we don’t really need to do what is unpleasant to our flesh, or that we didn’t really sin.  But when we look deeply into the truth, and take appropriate action based on the truth, we are able to move forward in the way of righteousness, rather than being deceived by lies of the devil.
=======================================================================