Thursday, April 3, 2014

To worship: what it means

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

Some people in churches call music and singing of songs "worship".

Various scriptures show us to worship means to obey God and serve HIM.

Mt. 4 ... Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; 9And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. 10Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.


In 1980, in the early days when I was on radio, I was briefly represented by the Michael Ellison Advertising Agency.  They also represented Kenneth Copeland, Marlyn Hickey, Jimmy Swaggart and other "big time" ministers.  The agent assigned to me came to Dallas to meet with me.  The first thing he told me to do was to add the following to my printed materials and envelopes:  "Send me your prayer requests" ... My response shocked him.  I replied strongly:  "I don't want them to do that" ... They are supposed to pray directly to God through Jesus Christ not through me.

The agent began reasoning with me concerning this matter.  Finally he said:  "Joan ... you are missing a good bet ... for when they send their prayer requests they usually put some money into the envelope."

They were using prayer to raise money.

I didn't do this.

Then the agency told me not to send any printed material unless they had first read the material and approved the material.

I refused to do this.

When I refused, they "kicked me out" and withdrew from me.  I was devastated when this happened for I thought I had failed.  Then God showed me Mt. 4:8-10 ... I had been tested like the devil tested Jesus.  If I would obey them, they would give me the world in ministry circles and I would be both rich and famous everywhere I went.  But God would no longer be in charge of me.  I would not be free to speak.  And I would be serving the agency instead of serving God.  So instead of failing the test, I found I had succeeded.

During the time I was on radio, the manager of the radio station in Seattle came to me and said:  "Joan ... you must stop speaking these judgment messages.  You have many good messages.  Just speak them.  But if you continue to speak these other messages I don't know what is going to happen to you.  We may put you off the air."

Out of my mouth came the defining word to guide me for the remainder of my life:  "George ... if I don't speak the message that I believe to be from God then I don't have a message and I may as well be off the air."

To worship God means to obey God and to serve HIM.