Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Need to bridle our tongue

Pam Padgett ... teacher

One of my neighbors owns a puppy.  This puppy and another puppy frequently got into small fights at a play time for dogs at a pet store and had to be kept separated at times.  One day my neighbor told me she overheard the owner of the other puppy put all the blame for the fights on my neighbor’s puppy.  My neighbor was upset by what the other owner said and spread this to me. 

I didn’t realize I was affected by what the neighbor said.  But shortly after this while at a dog park I heard some people talking about the other owner’s dog being such a nice dog.  Shockingly, I found myself wanting to tell about the problems at the pet store play time!  The Holy Spirit kept reminding me to "bridle my tongue" which I did, but it was very difficult to do.  Then the next time I saw my neighbor, I wanted to say something negative about the other dog.  Again, I kept hearing to "bridle my tongue" and "don't fan the fire", but I had to really work to not say anything.  On at least one other occasion I wanted to spread something about this matter, but was again stopped by the Holy Spirit reminding me to bridle my tongue ...

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Although this was such a silly matter, it clearly showed how words can be like a fire, spreading evil from one person to another.  I felt like one of the firefighters I've seen on the news working diligently to contain, and put out, a raging fire that began as a single spark. 

James describes the fire our words can kindle ...

James 3:3 Behold, we put bits in the horses 'mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. 4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. 5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

Our words have the potential to do harm by spreading trouble and evil like a fire.  Its important to keep our tongue under control, bridled, so we don't bring harm to anyone. 

I was also reminded of ...  Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. (1 Corinthians 15:33).   We are affected by the evil others spread, just like being affected by a fire we come in contact with.  But God is able to help us, giving us what we need to put out the "fire".