Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Be vigilant

Pam Padgett - teacher

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

When we're in the midst of a battle, we tend to turn strongly to God.  But when we're not dealing with obvious problems, its easy to relax as though there is no danger. 

One of the things Peter exhorts us to do is to be vigilant ... alert and watchful ... to attacks from the devil. 

Recently my life has been fairly quiet.  Still I have been attacked ... such as thoughts telling me there were problems, when there were no problems. 

An example is a thought that came telling me that Joan hadn't called in a few days because there was a problem, something wrong in my life.  I reasoned this away telling myself it was silly and that Joan would let me know if she perceived a problem.  I was not alert that these thoughts were from the devil and dangerous.  This subtle thought came more than once but I didn't turn to God and get established by God in the matter.

But when the Holy Spirit brought this to my attention I turned to God and was helped.   Immediately it was as if a weight had been lifted from me.  And when I asked God if there was a problem, I was not shown anything.  (Joan later told me she just hadn't thought to call.)  I was also reminded that what is important is my relationship with God, fellowship with God. 

The devil was telling me there was a problem when there was no problem, causing trouble.  But when I turned to God, HE sorted this out, showing the truth. 


Another example is a thought that came a few days ago that I needed something in my life to get me out of the house more, as if there was something missing in my life. I prayed about whether there was anything I should start doing, but didn't hear anything and forgot about this.  I wasn't alert to the danger and gave this no more thought even though I was not firmly established by God in the matter. 

When Joan and I were talking a few days later about my not doing therapy dog work any more (the dog I have now is not ready to go through the certification evaluation), I remembered and told her I had recently thought there might be a type of "hole" in my life (repeating what the devil had said and forgetting that I had prayed and not been shown anything missing).  After we talked, I prayed diligently about this. 

That day I was reminded a couple times to be content, satisfied, with what I have ...

Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

When we are chosen of God and given the Holy Spirit, we can fellowship with God and He cares for us.  Nothing is better than this.  Even in secular things, God provides everything needed.  I lack nothing.  And rather than needing things to do, I have found myself enjoying doing little things around the house, such as doing some touch-up painting and raking leaves, and have thanked God for how enjoyable these things are to me.

There is no problem ... nothing missing, no hole.  The thought of something missing in my life is a lie from the devil. 

Joan was reminded of  But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.  (Phil. 4:19).   God knows what we need and provides what we need.  Nothing is missing. 


Its important to stay vigilant, alert and watchful, even when there is no visible danger.  If we allow ourselves to relax and think there is no danger, we're in great danger.  But when we're vigilant, alert of the potential for danger, we turn to God with thoughts and allow God to firmly establish us in the matter.