Monday, December 15, 2014

The Holy Ghost: A New Testament word and event

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

The word "Holy Ghost" is only used in the New Testament.

In the OT, we see some had the Spirit of God such as Saul and then later David.  That Spirit was removed from Saul and given to David.

I Samuel 16 ... 13Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him (David) in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.
14But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him. 



We know David had Bathsheba's husband killed by putting him in the front lines of the army.  And the reason David did this was because he had sex with Bathsheba and she became pregnant.  David wanted to get rid of Uriah.

At one point we see David calling out to God, begging God not to take HIS Spirit away from David.

Psa. 51 ... David prayed ...   11Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

=========

In Luke, we read the following concerning John the Baptist ... (the angel said) ... 15For he (John the Baptist) shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb. 


I thought of how Mary was pregnant with Jesus and went to visit her cousin Elizabeth who was carrying John the Baptist in her womb at the time Mary visited.

Lk. 1 ... 39And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda; 40And entered into the house of Zacharias, and saluted Elisabeth. 41And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe (John the Baptist) leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:


Jesus was in the room ... Elisabeth and John the Baptist were affected.

John later came baptizing with water ... but Jesus baptized with the Holy Ghost ... Mt. 3:11; Mk. 1:8; Lk. 3:12; Jn. 1:33

Mk. 1:8 ... John the Baptist said ... I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.


Man baptizes in water ... but only Jesus (the Word) can baptize us with the Holy Ghost

=========

So many people from Christian type church groups hate the mention of  the Holy Ghost because they associate the Holy Ghost with speaking in tongues.  Therefore they are blocked concerning the subject of the Holy Ghost.

When I was born again in 1975, I attended a fundamental type Bible church from Dallas Theological Seminary.  This church group was something like Baptist and Church of Christ with the rigidity of Church of Christ.

The professor who was the pastor was teaching a series of lessons saying tongues are of the devil.  I really didn't care.  The subject of tongues didn't interest me.  I did attend his church services where he was teaching this but I don't remember anything as to what he actually said.  However I did not question what he was teaching at that time and I assumed anyone who spoke in tongues was from the devil.

A month or so later, I went through some very severe Satanic attacks.  A group of women from a prayer group learned of this and would pray for me and I would get better.  They invited me to their group.  I went to one gathering.  There were about 6 women there.  They had Bibles in front of them and they would bring up a subject for prayer and begin praying.  I was very impressed that they would do this.  Then I heard some strange undercurrent of sound coming from these women and I realized they were praying in tongues.  I was terrified for I had been taught tongues were from devil.  I left and would have nothing more to do with these women.

The Satanic attacks continued.  When this happened, the women who worked for me (unknown to me) would call the tongues prayer group and they would pray and I would get better.

Finally I learned about this, that these women (unknown to me) had been called to pray for me.

I decided to prove tongues are from the devil.  So I took Bible and took every passage of scripture and compared all scripture on the subject and after doing this I decided tongues are from God.

I was especially shocked by the following written by the apostle Paul as an instruction for the New Testament church.

Paul said:  39Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.  I Cor. 
14

The church I was attending at the time forbid tongues and taught tongues to be from devil.

So I left that church group.

I still didn't care about tongues ... and I knew nothing then about the Holy Spirit and the working of God through the Holy Spirit ... But I did care about Bible and I did believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God and therefore I was not going along with doctrine which taught against doctrine presented in the Bible.

(To be continued tomorrow ...)