Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Abstain from evil

1 Peter 3:10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

11 Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.



Comments by Pam Padgett


When we are shown or are aware of something evil, or something which stirs us up in an evil way, we are to eschew it ... deliberately avoid and abstain from it.   

In considering this I was reminded that when I was working, once each year employees were given a survey in which we were to evaluate management.  Then the manager met with those he managed to go over the survey.  The first few years I did this, but found I was troubled and my flesh stirred up by the survey and especially by the meetings to discuss the results of the survey.  A lot of evil and puffed up talk came forth in those meetings, and I found that I got just as puffed up. 

1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

After praying about what to do to keep from participating in this, I felt I should talk with my manager about all of this. 

I learned that although the company required that each employee submit a survey form, we did not have to provide an evaluation score for any of the questions.  (This is what I started doing, not even reading the questions so my flesh wouldn't get stirred up). 

Also, we were not required to attend the meetings, although it was strongly recommended that we attend them.  Others in the group thought me strange for not attending these meetings, saying they looked forward to discussing the various points and speaking their minds.

But it was not good for me, my soul, to attend these meetings.  There was much evil, and I was stirred up to join in the evil, so needed to abstain from this.