Monday, August 26, 2013

Love of money

Pam Padgett ... teacher

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.  

Evil resulting from love of money became evident while I was dealing recently with a sound processor.  I purchased a 502 processor like the one Joan purchased.  Joan's was installed first, and she found problems with it that couldn't be resolved.   The man we purchased the 502s from, David, offered to give us credit toward another processor if we would pay a few thousand dollars more.  Although I had the additional money in savings, I didn't want to spend itI kept looking for another way around this.  One option I thought of was to try to sell the 502 for more money than I had paid for it to offset the additional money I would need to spend on the other processor.  But each time I thought of listing it for sale regardless of price, I couldn't do it, not wanting to sell something that someone else might find to be a problem.  I found myself going "round in circles", not knowing how to deal with this.  I cried out to God for help.

When Joan called and asked if I had ordered the other processor yet, she told me how critical she felt it was to move on this immediately.  And Joan reminded me of a woman in our church group whose husband wanted more money for their house than was offered by a potential buyer.  This woman was given  Proverbs 15:27 ... He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live.  They sold their house at the lower price shortly before the housing market took a sharp downturn.

I immediately saw that the way God was providing for me was to pay the additional money from my savings, buy the other processor, and let David deal with the 502. This is what I did. 

While Joan and I were talking about this later, I admitted that I had been blocked by trying to keep my money, loving my money.  But I didn't want to tell that I had considered trying to sell the 502 for more than I had paid for it, wanting to hide how tightly I had tried to hold onto my money.  A few days later, however, the Holy Spirit kept bringing this to my mind and I told it.  Not only had I caused trouble and turmoil by my love of money, but had also entered into deception.

I'm grateful to God for helping me turn from these, providing ways of deliverance.