Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Colossians 3:1-4 ... Scripture: Shared by body of Christ

Colossians 3:1-4 ... 1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Exhortation:  Joan Boney, apostle/prophet


There are so many unnecessary problems in this world.  Sometimes we just want to tell someone off ... to put a person in his place.  Sometimes we perceive a person treated us wrong and we want to set that person straight.  By experience, I know this will bring no good to me and I will end up grieving myself if I do this.

An example:  My CD player is at repair shop.  I sent the CD in April and it is now May and I hadn't heard from repair people.  After about 3 weeks I called them to inquire about CD player.  I got a run around.  I called following week and again got a run around.  I realized there was potential for me to "blow up" and strike out against repair people.  I did not want to do this.  So I asked God to keep me from doing this.  Amazingly, at 11 am on a Sunday morning after I had called on God for help in controlling my flesh, the phone rang.  I was shocked to see on caller ID that the call was coming from the repair shop.  I answered it.  They explained the problem they had found with CD player.  This set everything in order and freed me from my own flesh.  So when we recognize there is as danger, as I did in this case, we can pray for help.

When we see we are at end of our rope in dealing with someone or something, help is available to us through God.  Even when we are in danger of the flesh taking over, God can help us.

I Cor. 10:13 ... There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

God is faithful.  He will make a way of escape when we want to escape.

My credit card provider issued me a new credit card number recently.  That meant I had go to through several companies and give them my new credit card number for automatic bill payment.  First, you have to get an individual on the phone.  Often this is very difficult.  I find it takes a great deal of control for me to work through their computer voice program.  Again, prayer for help is often needed.

Dealing with earthly problems in a godly way can be very trying.  God is always the answer when we can remember to pray first.

We are exhorted in Col. 3 to "set our affection" on things above ... not on things on this earth.

One of the most helpful scriptures to me in accomplishing this is to do what Paul told us in I Tim. 6 ... But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 9But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.  11But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. 12Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.  

Do I have food today?  Do I have "raiment" today?  When I examine these points, the answer is always "yes" so why am I fretful?


And focusing on today rather than tomorrow is very important.  Often our frets are over tomorrow which may or may not come.

James 4 ... For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.  15For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will,  we shall live, and do this, or that.

And when we focus on God today and do what we believe HE wants us to do today, "all these things" are added unto us.  Mt. 6 ... Jesus says we cannot serve God and riches.  If our goal is to make more money so we can get more things, we have set our path incorrectly.  When we set about to get more money we often take advantage of another person thus violating the basic godly principle of  "do unto others as you would have them to unto you."  So when a person sets about to gain more money, he often falls into a temptation and a snare.

Therefore we are instructed:  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.   Mt. 6

=========

Also concerning taking care of today ...  it is important to deal with today, taking care of issues that surface today.