Thursday, May 29, 2014

God met the need before it was known

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Recently John 15:18-21 was called to my attention by the Holy Spirit, and I spent time considering this ...

John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. 19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. 20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.

A day or two later while walking one of my dogs I saw the car of a woman I have known for many years.  We had worked together, and she and her husband lived in our neighborhood until about a year ago when they rented out their house here and moved to their cabin in the mountains.  I haven't seen her in several months and thought she would stop her car when she saw me so we could speak briefly.  But when I waved to her, she obviously saw me but barely acknowledged me and just drove on.

There was a little "sting" when she did this, but then I recalled we will be hated by those of the world because we are not of the world, and the world does not know God.  This woman does not know God and has shown hatred toward what I believe God has led me to do (such as helping the elderly neighbor next door).  It was very helpful to consider that she doesn't know God, and therefore hates the work of God she sees in me.  The "sting" quickly disappeared.

She and I had worked at the same place, lived in the same neighborhood, are very close in age, and even enjoy some of the same activities.  We seem similar in the flesh, but we are not the same.  For she is of the world, but God revealed Himself to me and chose me so I am no longer of this world.  There is not resentment in my heart toward this woman, but gratitude toward God. 

At the time John 15:18-21 stood out to me, I had no idea I would even see this neighbor.  But God knew I would be shunned by her, and had prepared me for this before it happened.