Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Love your neighbor as yourself

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

One time my cousin was speaking about helping a family member.  I said to her, "I don't see any difference between family and a stranger.  I would help anyone."  My cousin was shocked.  She said she didn't understand this at all.

When we are born of the Spirit of God don't we care about all people?  Do we make a difference between blood relatives and a neighbor?  (I know most people make a difference between blood relatives and a neighbor.)  

Yesterday I went to the bank and as I was leaving there was an older man behind me coming out the door.  I began speaking to this man.  I told him if he needed prescription drugs I knew a place where he could get those prescriptions at a very large discount.  I gave him examples.  This was a complete stranger.  But at his age I felt it was likely to use medicines and I had information that could help him.  I didn't hesitate to try to help him. That is because I am filled with God's Spirit being born again so I have a different spirit from this world.

Lk. 10 ... And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 
26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? 
27And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. 
28And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live. 

29But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour? 

30And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. 33But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, 34And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee. 36Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? 
37And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. 
Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

It is so easy for us in NT church for we have the Spirit of God.  We don't have to work at caring.  We care because we belong to God.

Heb. 8:10 ... For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Since God is living in us by the Holy Spirit it is in our hearts to care about people.  We don't have to try to care.  We do care.  We notice other people and we care.

Before I was born again I was not this way.  I cared mostly about myself and getting what I wanted.

A few years ago, I had an accident and as a result had to use wheelchair and cane.  Since that time, I go to store and I notice everyone who is in that store who is using walker, cane ... A few days ago, I was leaving grocery.  I had been using their motorized shopping cart.  Just as I parked the cart a woman entered the store using a cane.  I spoke to her and told her the cart I had just used seemed to have good power.  (some carts are low on power.  You are always concerned they will stop working and trap you at far end of store.)  I pointed out to her the cart I had just used.  At one time, before I had the Spirit of God, I would likely have ignored her.  But now I care about this stranger.  We are changed after we are given the Spirit of God.