Sunday, December 8, 2013

Scripture: Shared by body of Christ

Psalm 12:6 ... The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

Exhortation:  Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet


A few days ago, I had scripture in I Cor. 11 called to my attention and was "directed" to share this with the church, which I did ... You will find it on the first page of our blog on the right hand side in the listing of various teachings ... entitled:  "Head covering for a woman according to the Bible"

I received this teaching back in the 80's and shared it many times with the church.  It has been a long time since I have shared this and it is important.  But at the time I was reminded of it, there was "another voice" which was negative.

This made me even more certain that I needed to share this teaching again.

I Cor. 11 ... But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. 4Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. 5But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. 7For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. 8For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. 9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 10For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.  11Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord. 12For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God. 13Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

Paul says to the church ... And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.  Romans 12:2

In the USA, more and more, we see woman with hair cut like a man's hair.  Some are as short as men's hair.  We see football players with shoulder length hair although most football players still wear men's hair cuts.

When watching TV a few days ago, I began to "bristle" at a man wearing shoulder length hair.  Then I was reminded that I Cor. 11 is speaking to the church, not to the world.  I Cor. 11 ... Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. 5But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. (It is unlikely these long haired football players are going to be praying or prophesying.)

But for the church who does pray, and some prophesy, we heed I Cor. 11.

I have an acquaintance who is a devout Catholic.  I shared scripture concerning "call no man father" (Mt. 23) with her a few years ago.  She thanked me for the message.  She continued in Catholic church.  I knew she did not heed the message for had she done that she would have ended up coming out of Catholic church.

She was at my house recently.  All of a sudden she said, "What did you do to your hair?  It's really wonderful."  (I had missed my hair cut appointment and at the time she said how wonderful my hair was, it was a little longer than usual.)  I told her I didn't do anything to it.  I just missed my hair cut appointment.  This woman wears her hair very short, sometimes in the back it is like a man's hair cut.

It was after this time with this woman I was reminded to share I Cor. 11 with the church.  I didn't especially want to do that, probably because I would have to change a little by returning to I Cor. 11 and begin wearing my hair a little longer.  Which is exactly what happened.

The Word of God changes the church.  And we know it is very pure!  And we who are of God want to honor THE WORD.