Thursday, December 19, 2013

Prove all things: Hold fast that which is good.

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

The apostle Paul instructed:  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.  I Thess. 5:21

Several days ago, I began listing each scripture posted in the writings we do on the Internet that day.  Then later in the day, I would go back and read the entire chapter which contained that scripture.

To me this was just one more way to help me to get more into Bible each day.

I have a regular pattern daily.  I read blog.  Then I do personal reading, letting God work with me through various bodies of scripture.  Then I write on Internet any message that I believe God wants me to share.  All this usually takes me 2-3 hrs. each morning.

I get my food daily.  I have books that I read for entertainment (usually detective type mysteries).

In the evenings, I usually still have between 2-3 hrs to pass time until time before bed.  Often I try TV but don't often find programs that I want to watch and usually just end up switching channels and wearing myself out.

Since I have been keeping this list of scripture, I have gone to it in evening and have begun reading those chapters from Bible.  I believe this is beneficial to me.  It seems to settle me and keep me from wanting to talk on phone.  And a few days ago, I saw another fruit.  It gave me a type of control over my tongue.  I was very disturbed over a secular matter I saw on TV over which I have no control at all.  (It would be like you're being disturbed over a news story you saw on TV.)  Very strange when this happens but I find usually I am set on fire to tell another person this story that set me on fire.  But this time, I controlled my tongue.  I didn't share the story.  It would not glorify God.  It was just a disturbing secular story.  And I remembered the following scripture:  Eph. 4:29 ... Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

I felt some of this control was coming from my doing this extra Bible reading.  For me, I believe it is a good thing to list these scriptures and read these chapters from Bible.  Perhaps it would help you also.  I don't make it a rigid rule to do this.  And I might not cover every scripture listed that day.  But I just start and read until I am tired.  Often as I read, I will see something in a chapter to focus on.  The Bible is the living word of God so even when I have read a chapter many times, I still often find something that stands out to me and strengthens me in the way of God.