Saturday, December 7, 2013

Helped when accused unjustly

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Before Jesus was betrayed, at a supper in Bethany Mary anointed His feet with very costly ointment ....

John 12:1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead. 2 There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him. 3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.

When Judas Iscariot saw this, he accused her of doing wrong in this, asking why the ointment hadn't been sold and the money given to the poor.  Although he spoke as though he cared for the poor, that wasn't the case; he said this because he was a thief ...

John 12:4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him, 5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor? 6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

But Jesus did not allow Mary to be wrongly accused, telling Judas Iscariot to leave her alone, and judging her justly as He explained that she anointed Him because they were very near (against) the day of His burial ...  

John 12:7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this. 8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.


We, also, are sometimes unjustly accused as we do what is right in the sight of God.  

My next door neighbor, Jim, is an elderly widower who lives by himself.  One afternoon a little over a year ago I kept having the thought to go see if Jim's trash can was still near the street. It seemed strange to care about his trash can, but I believed this thought was from the Holy Spirit, so went to see.  I was surprised to find the trash can was still at the street since the garbage truck had come early that morning and Jim usually put his trash can back in his garage soon after the truck emptied it.  I called to see if he was ok, but there was no answer.  Not wanting to over-react, my intention was to wait a while and try to call again.  But I kept having the thought that it wouldn't do any good to wait, and that I needed to go check on Jim.  Again, I thought it was the Holy Spirit bringing this thought, so I went to his house and I found he had fallen the previous evening and was unable to get up.  He had been laying on the floor for about 20 hours with a broken hip.

Jim was in a hospital then rehab center for about ten weeks and I visited him and did a few minor things for him, like feeding his cat.  When it looked like he might need to go to an assisted living center, I remembered another neighbor whose mother is in an assisted living center.  I called Carol and told her about Jim and asked about the center where her mother lives in case this information might be helpful to Jim.  To my surprise, Carol told me I was wrong for helping Jim even in these little things, and that only his children should help (all of his children live in other towns). 

But when I turned to God, I was reminded that it was the Holy Spirit who led me to find Jim when he had fallen, and this is how I started helping him.  Later I was also reminded of the parable Jesus told when asked who are the neighbors we are to love as ourselves.  In the parable a Samaritan helped a man who had been left half dead by thieves. Others saw but offered no help to the injured man, but the Samaritan had mercy on him.  Jesus said to go and do likewise (Luke 10:25-37)  I believe the Holy Spirit reminded me of these things to show that in the sight of God it was right for me to help Jim. 

A few days later I saw Carol and she again made a point of telling me I shouldn't be helping Jim.  She couldn't understand what I said to her.  But as she spoke, she revealed that she hadn't liked Jim since long before the accident.  She also spoke about the help her mother has asked of her and there was bitterness.  It was obvious that she resented needing to help her mother.  I believe I was allowed to see that her attack toward me for helping Jim was because she didn't like him and because of the resentment she had about needing to help her mother.

Although we are sometimes accused wrongly by those with evil in their hearts, God knows the truth and is able to help and to restore us, according to HIS will.