Tuesday, November 12, 2013

God eased Moses' burden

Pam Padgett ... teacher

While in the wilderness, God fed the children of Israel with manna.  When they started lusting for flesh as they had in Egypt and wept for having left Egypt, Moses turned to God about the burden of caring for the people being too heavy for him ...

Numbers 11:10 Then Moses heard the people weep throughout their families, every man in the door of his tent: and the anger of the Lord was kindled greatly; Moses also was displeased. 11 And Moses said unto the Lord, Wherefore hast thou afflicted thy servant? and wherefore have I not found favour in thy sight, that thou layest the burden of all this people upon me? 12 Have I conceived all this people? have I begotten them, that thou shouldest say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom, as a nursing father beareth the sucking child, unto the land which thou swarest unto their fathers? 13 Whence should I have flesh to give unto all this people? for they weep unto me, saying, Give us flesh, that we may eat. 14 I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too heavy for me. 15 And if thou deal thus with me, kill me, I pray thee, out of hand, if I have found favour in thy sight; and let me not see my wretchedness.

God dealt with the people who lusted,  bringing them so much flesh that it became loathsome to them and then slaying those who lusted with a great plague (Number 11:31-34).

God also eased the burden of Moses in caring for the children of Israel.  God told Moses to gather 70 of the elders and officers of the people.  God would give them of His spirit which was on  Moses so they could help bear the burden of the people with Moses ...

Numbers 11:16 And the Lord said unto Moses, Gather unto me seventy men of the elders of Israel, whom thou knowest to be the elders of the people, and officers over them; and bring them unto the tabernacle of the congregation, that they may stand there with thee. 17 And I will come down and talk with thee there: and I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone.

Moses did according to the instruction of the Lord, speaking as directed to the people, and gathering 70 of the elders of the people.  When the spirit came on them, they prophesied without ceasing, speaking as led by the spirit of God ...

Numbers 11:24 And Moses went out, and told the people the words of the Lord, and gathered the seventy men of the elders of the people, and set them round about the tabernacle. 25 And the Lord came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.

Moses humbled himself before God, turning to God with his concern, and God answered him, giving him help in caring for the people.