Monday, July 8, 2013

Set apart by God

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Recently the first part of Psalm 4:3 stood out to me ...

Psalm 4:3 But know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the Lord will hear when I call unto him.

I thought of how when we are chosen by God and led by the Holy Spirit, we don't "fit in" with those who do not have, and are not led by, the Holy Spirit.  For many years I thought there was something wrong with me because I didn't seem to fit in with most people at school, at work, even in church groups.  The Holy Spirit leads in the way of life, while most people are going in the ways of destruction. 

Matthew 7: 13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

As we follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, we are on a different path than those who are following their own ideas and ways of this world.  We are different from those without the Spirit and seem strange (sometimes even to ourselves) as we are conformed to the word of God.  I recalled some times I believe God has separated me by His word. 

My sister, her husband, their daughter (my niece), and my niece's young son planned to vacation here.  This niece is living in fornication, living with the father of her child but without marrying him.  I had planned to meet them for dinner when they came to town.  But then I was given a dream ... A younger woman was in bed with a man she wasn't married to.  Then she came to where I was and I was encouraging her in her relationship with this man.  I was also in bed with a man I wasn't married to.  I believed God was showing me HIS view of my plans to visit with this niece who is committing fornication.  By being friendly with her, I would have been approving her.  2 John 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.  I told my sister I would not meet and visit with them and what God had shown me about this.

Another example of being set apart by the Holy Spirit happened many years ago when I was attending a church and the singles group at that church.  I was renting a room in the house of a woman I met in the singles group.  She had been married and divorced twice, and had a young daughter.  At first she seemed to be content raising her daughter and remaining single.  But then she started actively looking for another husband.  I spoke with her and shared scriptures which teach us that a divorced woman commits adultery if she remarries, such as Romans 7:1-3, Mark 10:12, Matthew 5:32.  She said she didn't care what the Bible said, she knew what she believed.  Shortly after this I moved from her house, but later heard she was engaged to marry one of the men in the singles group.  I went to him and shared scriptures about the adultery they would commit if they married since she is divorced.  He said he would consider these things, but the wedding plans continued.  I then went to the woman who was going to be the maid of honor in the wedding.  She said she knew the marriage was wrong, but that they would get married regardless of she said or whether she was the maid of honor, so she was going to be the maid of honor. 

About this time a strange thing started happening when I went to the Sunday morning services.  People from the singles group usually sat together in one section of the church building.  One morning I got there a little early and sat in that area.  No other singles came.  When the service started, I looked around and saw that people from the singles group were sitting a few rows farther back.  The following week, I sat a few rows farther back, which I assumed was the "new" area for people in the singles group, but they all sat farther up.  I was puzzled.  The following week, I got to the service shortly before it began, and went to where people from the singles group were sitting.  Without saying a word, those next to me got up and moved away from me.  It was obvious they wanted nothing to do with me, but I didn't have any idea why.  I cried out to God, asking Him what was going on?  Had I done something wrong?  I quit trying to sit with people from the singles group when I went to the church service.  A few weeks later, a woman I didn't know very well came to me after a service and said she had a word from God for me.  The word was that God knew how I was being treated by those in the singles group and that I needed to know that it was because I had done HIS will in speaking against the marriage of the divorced woman.  I was so grateful to God for showing me this. 

Jesus told us He came to bring a sword ...

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. 37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. 39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.  40 He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

As we are led by the Holy Spirit in the word of God given to us, we are often divided from those who are going in the way of destruction, but are conformed to the word of God and are able to walk with others who are led by the Holy Spirit.