Saturday, May 4, 2013

Refraining from strife

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Proverbs 20:3 It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.

The flesh loves to be "right" and tries to gain honor for itself by proving it is right.  Much strife results in doing this. 

But wisdom from God is that it is an honor to cease from strife.  We receive honor from God as we keep the flesh from entering into strife, and go in the ways the Holy Spirit leads in the situation. 

Recently while reading the following, it stood out to me that after Jesus did wonderful things ... teaching that it is lawful to do well on the sabbath, and healing the man with the withered hand ... the Pharisees wanted to destroy Jesus. 

Matthew 12:10 And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him. 11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out? 12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days. 13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other. 14 Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him.

Jesus lived in the flesh as we do, being tempted in all ways as we are.  But He didn't allow His flesh to rise up and enter into strife with the Pharisees.  Instead, Jesus continued in the way that pleased the Father and which had been foretold by the prophet Isaiah ...

Matthew 12:15 But when Jesus knew it, he withdrew himself from thence: and great multitudes followed him, and he healed them all; 16 And charged them that they should not make him known: 17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, 18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles. 19 He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets. 20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory. 21 And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

Strife is a work of the flesh.  It leads to death, not honor and life.

Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like:of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Several years ago I had been meditating in scripture about strife being a work of the flesh (Galatians 5:19-21) and not entering into strife.  About that time two electricians came to run an extra circuit for some work being done at my house.  The head electrician told me they would run a metal pipe around two sides of the house.  Knowing this would look very ugly, I asked if he could run it through the basement.  He gave a reason he couldn't do this.  Then I asked if he could run 2 new circuits instead of one.  Again he gave a reason this couldn't be done.  Although I felt these were excuses rather than legitimate reasons, and my flesh wanted to rise up and strive with him, there was strength to keep my flesh under control and I quietly turned to God and committed the situation to Him to work out as He willed.  I knew I had been strengthened to not strive by God when meditating in His word, and was so joyful and grateful to Him as I saw this come forth in my life. 

And God did work the problem out for me.  Wasps were in an area the electricians needed to work in to do what they planned.  Since I hadn't entered into strife with the electricians, I wasn't angry and wanted to help them not be hurt by the wasps.  I went to the store to get spray to kill the wasps.  While waiting for me to get back with the spray, the electricians looked around and found a way to run 2 circuits through the attic, with no ugly metal pipes on the outside of the house.