Sunday, August 19, 2012

Help for neighbor

Pam Padgett ... teacher

An elderly man named Jim lives next door to me.  His wife died about three years ago and he now lives by himself.   Jim asked me to keep a key to his house in case of an emergency, and if I didn't see any sign of him for a while, he wanted me to see if he was ok.  I noticed that each morning he turned on a light in one room, so I usually looked for that light each morning to see if he was up and around. 

A few days ago the light was on in his window, as usual, and his trash can was at the street since the trash truck comes on that day.  A couple hours after the trash truck came, Jim's trash can was still near the street which is unusual, but perhaps he had an appointment and would move the can when he returned.   Then around 4pm, Jim's trash can kept being called to my mind.   So I looked and saw the can was still at the street. I walked to his driveway and noticed that the newspapers had not been picked up either.  Thinking that maybe Jim had taken ill, I called his house, but there was no answer.   Even as I was trying to convince myself to not over-react and that maybe he just hadn't been able to get to the phone in time and would call back, there was a thought telling me there was no need to wait.  I believed this thought was from the Holy Spirit, and immediately got the key to Jim's house and went inside.

At his house, I found Jim on the kitchen floor.  He had fallen the night before and dragged himself to where the telephone is, but couldn't reach it to call for help.  It had been a little more than 20 hours since he had fallen.  He was awake but very weak.  I called for emergency help immediately, and an ambulance arrived quickly to take him to a hospital.  Before falling that evening, Jim had put the trash can out near the street and then spent time in the room where I check for a light, leaving the light on when he fell. 

I believe the thoughts that caused me to go into Jim's house were from the Holy Spirit, and have been reminded of ... I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye. (Psalm 32:8)

Also, I was so sorry that Jim had been on the floor in pain for so long.  And there were thoughts of guilt that I had not checked on him earlier.  But when I have prayed about this, I've been reminded of how strongly I was led to take action around 4pm, but not before that.   God knows how to get our attention when we are to act.  The thing that is important is what the Holy Spirit calls to our attention and that we act on that.  God's purpose in each situation will be accomplished. 

The devil tries to condemn us, but God brings forth the truth ... Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. (Romans 8:33)


Comments by Joan Boney

I am very interested in Pam's neighbor, Jim.  I have had an heart to pray for him.  Yesterday Pam told me something which may explain my feeling.  Jim's wife was dying of cancer a few years ago.  She loved animals and while she was sick both her old dog and her old cat died.  Jim did not care for animals.  She did not plan to get another animal because she felt she was dying.  But they were out and someone was giving away kittens and Jim insisted they take a kitten.  He told his wife he would take care of the kitten. I can just imagine how much this kitten brightened this woman's life in her last days. By this act, I saw such a love in him for his dying wife.  I think this act shows the heart of Jim although Pam says he tries to show a gruff appearance.  He is a retired Marine.  He is old now (81).  He can't move one leg because of his accident.  He is concerned about what will happen to him for he probably can't move back to his house which has 3 levels of stairs.  But somehow I think his kindness toward his wife will end up blessing him as he is basically helpless.