Friday, August 3, 2012

Answered prayers

Cathy Varner ... Member of body of Christ

One day a while ago, God answered some prayers for me, and I think of these often, marveling at His help in such unimportant matters.

My husband and I were going to go to a festival in a nearby town to hear a certain band play, that we'd heard before and liked.  Often when we need (or I want) to be at a place at a certain time, I will get very antsy waiting for my husband when he is not ready to leave at the time I think we need to, to arrive on time.  I was afraid this would happen again and prayed he'd be ready, but that if I needed to learn patience and have to wait, that God would help me with that. And that we'd arrive on time and not miss anything.

I didn't have to wait on him, but there were a few things we had to do on the way, which I thought might hinder.  Plus we got to a long stretch of road where the speed limit was 35, and though he is not usually meticulous about following speed limits, he set the cruise control for 35 and it felt like we were crawling.

When we were walking to get a seat, I saw that the time was 5 minutes before the scheduled time for the band to start. Timing couldn't have been better!  Another concern for me was parking, as sometimes we've had to park quite a distance away because of the large amount of people attending.  I was amazed at how very close a parking spot we found, just short distance down the street from where band would play.

Then that evening as I was lying in bed and not asleep yet, I heard a commotion outside that sounded like it could be one of my husband's young chickens squawking.  I looked out the window and saw my cat near the chicken, bothering it.  By the time I got outside they'd gone behind a large bush behind our garage.  I didn't hear noises from the chicken anymore and was afraid the cat had killed it.  I tried to get them out by pushing a long stick back there, but to no avail.  I was praying for the chicken to be ok, but my main concern was actually for the cat, for I feared that if the cat had hurt or killed the chicken that my husband would be upset and want to get rid of the cat. So I was praying for help with all of this.  Finally my husband came out and I called him over to where I was, explaining what happened.  He told me I could go back in the house.  I went back to bed, still praying, wondering what was going to happen.  A few minutes later my husband came into the bedroom, thanking me for saving the life of his chicken. (though I hadn't really done anything.). The chicken was not hurt or dead, therefore my cat was also not in danger of being ousted.

God has answered many prayers since then, but these things keep coming back to mind.