Thursday, October 2, 2014

Getting more sober regarding niece

Pam Padgett - teacher

As my parents grew older and had more physical problems, they wanted to live closer to family members, especially so they could be helped by them.  They made comments about Colorado (where I live) being a nice place to live and I knew they were considering moving here.  About that time there was going to be a birthday party for my dad.  I had planned to go to this and then bring my parents back to Colorado and knew that, while here, they would be considering whether to move here.  Joan told me she was concerned about my plans to go to this party and bring my parents back for a visit.  I prayed about this and decided to back out of these plans. (I'm sorry to say that I didn't tell my parents truthfully why I changed plans, using a software load at work as an excuse.)

After backing out of these plans I don't remember my parents making any more comments showing they were considering moving to Colorado.  They actively attend the Catholic church, are very worldly people, and would have attracted various worldly relatives who live in this city but I don't visit with them.  It was a relief to me that they didn't pursue moving here.

My parents eventually moved to a small town where my niece and her husband live.  There, my parents have taken care of their young child, and my niece and her husband have helped my parents in various ways. I developed a softness toward my niece, thinking her "good" as she has helped my parents.

Recently Joan shared Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, ... (1 Peter 1:13 ) and how she had started a list for various people she knows to help her stay sober about them.  It is very easy for me to get "drunken" where people are concerned, thinking them "good", and I also started a list for people I know, praying asking God to show me what I need to see about each person.

For this niece:

- no evidence of the Holy Spirit (without the Holy Spirit she is ruled only by her flesh)
- my mom told me a story of this niece encouraging her approx. 2-year old at the time son to do something her husband had told the son not to do, thinking it to be cute
- no response when I sent her a copy of a letter regarding another niece committing fornication and I shared what the Bible says about this
- thinks she knows what I should do, such as to go visit my parents

A few weeks ago my niece called to tell me my mom had injured her back and was in a great deal of pain.  She had gone to a doctor who said she needed to have surgery which was scheduled for earlier this week.  This was outpatient surgery, not requiring a hospital stay.  She called the night before the surgery and left a message that she would call the next day and let me know how the surgery went.  The next day when she called after the surgery, she said she would call me later after my mom was home to let me know how she was doing.

But before she called I reviewed what God had shown me about this niece to help me be sober.  As I answered the phone I also asked God for wisdom in what to say.  When she said she would call me later in the day, I stopped her from doing this and told her I would probably call my mom the next day. 

After this call from my niece I saw that she had taken upon herself to make these calls.  My parents had not asked my niece to tell me anything, and I have not asked my niece to keep me informed about my parents.   Joan and I were also discussing these things and Joan was shown that this niece is trying to be God.  And I heard the word "presumptuous" .. one who presumes (take upon oneself without permission or authority).  ( I added these things to the list about my niece).

Although I had wanted to think of my niece as "good" because she and her husband help my parents, what I am shown by God is that she is a worldly person, not caring about what God says, presumptuous, trying to lead me by her own wisdom, trying to be God.   This is truth and helps me be sober and not deceived regarding this niece.

Comments by Joan Boney ... Concerning a person being "good" ... consider what Jesus said ...

Mt. 19 ... And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God