Monday, October 6, 2014

Truth about neighbor

Pam Padgett - teacher

One of my neighbors is a woman I worked with more than 20 years ago.  When she and her husband moved to this neighborhood, we became re-acquainted.  She has always seemed like a kind person to me, especially where animals are concerned.  When I needed help with my large older dog last year, I asked God what to do and was reminded of this neighbor's husband.  The husband came and helped me.  Because of these things I thought well of these people. 

Then one day about six weeks ago I kept having the thought to call these neighbors and ask if they would like to let our dogs play together on the golf course land behind my house.  When I called, the husband answered the phone and told me that his wife, her sister, and her mother had gone to Las Vegas for a few days vacation.  Las Vegas is known for gambling and I was shocked that this woman would want to go to such a place, and especially to go without her husband.  It also shocked me that her husband seemed fine with this. 

After I hung up the phone, I saw that this is truth about these neighbors.  And truth was very different than the way I had seen them in my mind. 

Yesterday evening this neighbor left a phone message for me saying a skin problem caused by a very small bug had been contracted by a dog that had gone to two of the places where my dog plays.  When I heard the message, I was aware that not long ago her phone message would have made me think she had called because we were "friends".  But that is not the case now. 

1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, ...

Several days ago I had asked God to show and strengthen me in truth about these neighbors so I could be sober regarding them and not lapse back to a fantasy view of them.  I was reminded again of the Las Vegas trip, and also of the woman once telling me how she and her husband had dealt deceptively in getting unemployment benefits before retiring.  She told this as though it was a "wise" thing to have done. 

In the message she left last night, this woman said that her husband told her I had called about letting the dogs play.  But that was over a month ago!  She had not called me until she had this "news" to spread.  This news had set her on fire to find people to tell.  And I was actually troubled by hearing this "news".  (I turned to God asking if I need to make any changes in where I let my dog play).  All of this is more truth about these neighbors. 

friend: 
- on the same side with ... We are not on the same side.  They are of the world seeking things of the world and set on fire by things of the world.  The whole world lies in wickedness.  But God has chosen me out of the world to serve Him.  And God cares for me and gives me His wisdom. 

- having a common bond of affection with ... Their affection is for things of this world.  My affection is to please God.

- one who approves, supports, encourages ... I can't approve, support, and encourage them as they go in ways of the world, ways of wickedness.

- one who is actively interested in and wishes success for ... I'm not interested in hearing about such things as a trip to Las Vegas nor in what they do in their own wisdom.  And I don't wish them success in such things as gambling and deception. 

To be friends with them would cause me to be an enemy of God (James 4:4). 

I am thankful to God for showing me truth about these neighbors (and anyone else I come in contact with) and helping me to stay sober so I not deceive myself.