Friday, October 10, 2014

The Holy Spirit speaks truth to us

Pam Padgett - teacher

This week I've been dealing with getting some stucco repaired around new windows at my house.  I contacted the company which initially put the stucco on the house some years ago.  I was very pleased with the work they had done, and the people I dealt with seemed very "friendly" to me. 

But when I called about the stucco repair about six weeks ago, they sent a man who didn't seem knowledgeable about what needed to be done.  He didn't inspect the stucco around the windows to determine which needed to be repaired.  Instead he asked me how many windows were in the house.  When I received the estimate, it was very high, including repairing stucco around all of the windows (I knew this was not needed).   Still I continued working with this company

I called Bertha, the woman I had worked with when the stucco was initially put on the house (she and her husband own the business) and told her the number of windows I saw they would need to repair.  She sent a revised estimate which seemed reasonable to me, and I decided to proceed with the repair. 

Bertha said they were scheduling about 1-1/2 weeks ahead, and that they would let me know when the repair would be done.  I signed and returned the estimate, expecting to be called in about a week giving the date my repair was scheduled. 

Early this week I realized at least two weeks had passed since I returned the signed estimate and I hadn't heard from this company.  So I called to make sure they had received it.  When I called, Bertha told me she had received this and that the man who would do the repairs was repairing my neighbor's house and would be at my house that day or the next day, depending on when he finished at the neighbor's house.  I was shocked that she hadn't let me know ahead of time about this, but having the repair done this week worked fine for me, and while we were talking I ignored that she hadn't let me know when this was scheduled

But God has been working with me to be sober and live in truth recently.  A little later that afternoon the Holy Spirit called my attention to the fact that she had told me she would let me know when the work was scheduled, but hadn't done this.  I realized I was not sober about this company and especially about Bertha who speaks in a very friendly way.  I started writing down what I was reminded of about the way this repair had been handled up until this time.  I hadn't been seeing this soberly at all!  There had been problems since the time the man came to give the estimate.  

The repairman did not come either the first day nor the next day.  The afternoon of the next day I called to see if he was still expected to be here that day.  I explained to the woman who answered the phone who I was and why I was calling.  She said I needed to talk with Bertha.  After a minute or two, Bertha answered the phone and said "Hi Pam.  Is he there?"  I told her he wasn't and that I wanted to know whether he would be here that day.  She said she needed to talk with him and would call me back.  When she called back a few minutes later she said the neighbor's repair was taking more time than expected and she suggested he come to my house the following morning which was fine with me. 

Later that afternoon I heard from the Holy Spirit that Bertha had lied to me.  She spoke as though she thought the repairman was at my house asking "Is he there?".  But the first woman I spoke with would have told Bertha I was calling because he wasn't here.  And I kept having the thought that the repairman surely would have told Bertha when he finished the neighbor's repair, although no one had said this to me. 

When I was telling Joan about this, going to lengths to say that I didn't know for sure if the repair man would have told Bertha when he finished at the neighbor's house.  Joan pointed out that the Holy Spirit had told me this.  It doesn't matter if a person had told me this, for the Holy Spirit had told this to me.  The Holy Spirit gives me truth.  This is much more sure than if a person had told me

The repair man did come and while he was here, I saw him on his phone obviously giving a report about the repair.  After he left, I found a few tools he had left behind and called the office so they could contact him and let him know I would leave the tools on the porch.  While talking with Bertha about this, she knew exactly where the repairman was, on his way to another job, and even that another repairman was meeting him at that job.  She was kept informed of which job he was working on, as the Holy Spirit told me.